chapter one

It's been a week since Petra's come back, and she wishes she'd never woken up on Titan. She's miserable.

Petra keeps her head down as everyone around her is full of boisterous laughter. She hasn't touched anything on her plate, not that anyone has noticed.

Nobody's noticed her, really, not since she's come back.

Tony's loud, joyous laughter snaps her out of her thoughts. He and May, laughing at something Happy said. Petra frowns, head ducking back down, trying to block out their laughter.

Dr. Strange eyes her, placing a shaky hand on her shoulder.

"Are you alright, Petra?"

Petra blinks, forcing back the tears that formed in her eyes. She nods, forcing a smile on her face. "I-I'm fine, Dr. Strange."

Dr. Strange raises an eyebrow, clearly not believing her. " Your eyes say otherwise, Petra. You do know you don't have to hide that you aren't okay. And I think you've earned the privilege to call me, Stephen. We did save the universe together after all."

Petra gives him a small sad smile, standing from the picnic table. "Whatever you say, Dr. Strange."

Of course, nobody but Stephen notices her leaving the celebration. She hides away, climbing into one of the trees near the lake. Pulling her hood over her head, she cries until she dozes off. The next thing she knows wakes up on the couch in Happy's apartment.

She gives it a few days before she's at her wit's end. Hastily, she packs her small backpack with the new clothes May had brought her. She writes a note, sticking it on the fridge. Dr. Strange was going to kill her for dragging him into her lie, but that's if he can find her. She grabs her bag, walks over to the window, and, throws it open. She gives the apartment one last look of dismay before jumping out of the window. Her suit's mask forms over her face.

She's out for hours, ignoring calls from May, Happy, Tony, and Pepper. Around seven, she finds the Sanctum Sanctorum Dr. Strange lives at. She prays that Mr. Wong isn't the one to open the door as she gently knocks on the door.

She steps back as the door creaks open. It reveals the wary face of Dr. Strange. Her expression softens as he recognizes Petra. There's confusion in his eyes.

"Petra?" he asks. "What are you doing here?"

Petra nervously shuffles her feet under Dr. Strange's gaze. "H-hi, Dr. Strange...I was..um..wondering if I could stay with you tonight?"

"Why would you want to do that, Petra? Shouldn't you be with your aunt right now?"

"Please," Petra pleads," please - I-I just need somewhere to get away for a second. You're the first person that came to mind."

Dr. Strange is silent, watching her for a moment. Petra lets out a sigh, turning around. She should have never gotten her hopes up that Dr. Strange was going to help her. He'd probably call Tony as soon as she left.

"I didn't say no, Petra."

Petra freezes, turning back to him. "Really?"

Dr. Strange pushes the door open further, ushering her inside.

He guides her to a spare bedroom. He doesn't ask any questions as his cloak leaves his shoulders, flying over to her and wrapping around her.

"I-What? What is it doing?" She asks, tensing as it strokes her cheek.

"It's hugging you. Relax, it won't hurt you." Dr. Strange places the comforter on the bed. "Get some rest, Petra. You look exhausted."

Petra doesn't think, she rushes forward, throwing her arms around Strange. He stiffens before he awkwardly lifts an arm, patting Petra on the back.