25

Stand up little girl
A broken heart can't be that bad

To be with you - Mr. Big
****

We were all sat round the lunch table like normal but today's focus was on me.

I wasn't really all too big on being the centre of attention so this wasn't ideal.

"Oh please tell us how it happened!" Kayleigh begged.

"Seriously Elodie you can't give us news like that and then just clam up." Niall persisted, honestly it was unnatural how much that boy liked to gossip.

"Fine, I'll tell you." It had been around 10 minutes now of them all trying to ask me questions and find out how it happened.

"Oh thank god for that." Marnie rolled her eyes into the back of her head.

It was very obvious when we started talking she wasn't at all interested.

"Shut up Marnie, let the girl talk. Don't pretend you don't want to know." Hope complained to Marnie.

"I don't want to know." Marnie

"Ignore her Elodie, tell us." Zayn said, he was sat next to Marnie and I could see him nudge her thigh under the table.

She didn't try to fight me after that.

It was nice to know someone had that kind of impact on Marnie, I couldn't quite work out why nobody ever mentioned whatever went on between her and Zayn.

Sometimes I found myself wanting to ask but then maybe it was best if I didn't, that was if I wanted to keep all my fingers.

Which I did really, they were quite useful.

As I went to open my mouth and start explaining a noise at the end of the table distracted me.

Harry put his bag down and slumped into the chair furthest from me.

"Alright mate, you haven't sat with us in a while." Liam said, he was sat closest to where Harry had just sat down.

"Yeah I'm alright thanks." Harry replied, he didn't look at me or even acknowledge the fact we hadn't spoken since the party.

"Go on Elodie, I'll die if i've got to wait any longer." Kayleigh grabbed my wrist and looked at me pleadingly.

"Well it just sort of happened last night, I promise it's not all that interesting." I was now seriously trying to down play what they all wanted me to tell them.

"What isn't?" The voice from the opposite end of the table spoke.

I immediately shook my head and couldn't look to face him, "Nothing." I tried to say but it came out as more of a strained whisper. He probably didn't even hear it.

"Haven't you heard?" Kayleigh began, "James asked Elodie to be his girlfriend!" She sounded overcome with joy.

There wasn't any form of response so I looked up to meet his eyes.

"I see." His words gave away nothing. They didn't say whether or not he cared, just that he was learning some new information.

But his eyes.

They seemed almost sad, if I was reading into it I'd almost say it was something he could see coming but not something he was happy about.

I knew out of everyone I'd receive the least amount of support from H, but I thought maybe he'd give me a bit more than 'I see'.