Chapter 2

"Oh, welcome back, mum and dad!", you shouted happily from the kitchen when you heard the front door open and two pairs of footsteps step on the wooden floor.

You had made it back to the village just in time to catch your parents. Bella had been put in her stable and you made sure she received lots of hay to regain her strength. Back in your small house, you put the herbs up to dry by the kitchen window and the aroma of lavender and rosemary had overtaken the fresh air that came in through it. Your parents came in and greeted you in turn with hugs and kisses of affection before going to the back to wash off the dirt they had returned with from the fields. You looked down and made sure that they hadn't gotten any dirt on your dress by dusting it off with a hand.

Of course, you had pretended to be all happy that you had returned to avoid raising suspicion. Your mind was preoccupied with thoughts on that water horse you had come across in the meadow. You had yet to figure out how or why it had ended up so far from home or at least a body of water. Never had you heard of a water horse living solely on land so that must not have been the answer. The only way I will know for sure is if I ask it directly... Maybe I should go back?, you thought with a finger at your chin. Yeah, perhaps that was your best chance at learning its origins but first, you had to learn more about its kind. You knew going into a battlefield underprepared was a bad idea.

~ ~ Φ ~ ~

"Good morning, (Y/N!)", someone shouted and you greeted them back.

It was the morning of the next day and you had gone out, dressed in a happy tone of colour, to hunt down the new and old merchants who would be setting up their wares on the plaza stalls. Your goal was to gather more information on the water spirit in the case of it being too dangerous to approach by yourself as you had been planning. Sure, you would have Bella with you but the only thing she would be able to do was drag you away by the collar or your hair.

The plaza was as lively as ever with plenty of people walking about, talking, chatting, laughing. There was a group of boys who were playing football and some others who were playing marbles or with their hunting dogs. The villagers were in small groups, watching over the children and conversing with one another. Even though it was very early, the plaza was buzzing with people since everyone woke up at dawn to get their routine started. Men would go to the traditional coffeehouse where they would stay at for an hour to drink their morning coffee with their friends, while the women would be either at home taking care of the house and the kids or getting the carriage ready to leave for the fields once their husbands would return home.

Some more people greeted you and then you had reached the stalls. You wondered who would be able to tell you more; the fisherman or the bookseller? One had travelled to the sea and lakes while the other had plenty of books with both important and unimportant information in which something about water horses could have had been written in them. Then again, the fisherman must have had heard plenty of tales from the locals of the seaside villages and towns so he was the most probable to have the info you needed. You decided to approach him first and speak to the bookseller afterwards; you had plenty of time until they would have to close shop for the night and plenty of free time to spare.

"Good morning!", you waved at the fisherman with a small smile on the lips, he waved back with an ear-to-ear smile as he hauled a bundle of fish on the stall.
"Good morning, (Y/N)!", he greeted you, "How have you been? I haven't seen you around for the past few days".
"Oh, you know, helping my parents at the shop by gathering herbs and such. How are you? How's your wife and children?".
"My wife has been having a lot of headaches lately and the little rascals are as rowdy as ever. Tell your old man that I'll be passing by the shop in the evening for a refill of pain killers".