Chapter 3

I'm not sure if I copied everything from my quotev profile so if you notice any weird paragraphs that don't quite make sense, please inform me so I can fix that ^^
==============================================

That night you spent your free time after dinner reading the story compilation book which you had been given by the book seller. You had laid on your bed, the book resting on your pillow as your eyes skimmed the pages and titles with the help of the bright flame of the candle on the bedside table. It wasn't the safest place to leave a candle but as long as an earthquake didn't occur, then nothing would catch aflame -you weren't that clumsy!

There were many short stories and very few lengthy ones, which helped your progress time-wise... not so much information-wise. Most of them repeated the theme: "They shall eat you and leave your heart floating on the surface of their home". When it came to their appearance, most would describe them as black stallions with fur as smooth as that of a seal's and their mane and tail would be made of seaweed and doomed to drip water even in the sunlight. Some described them as beautiful, white stags with antlers the size of a longhorn bull's horns. In the long stories, there were references (rather short ones) of the water spirit's shapeshifting abilities in little detail. They weren't the best source of information but it was better than nothing. They would be described to take the form of a handsome man or woman (like the fisherman had said) Sadly, there were barely any depictions of the spirit and the few that appeared every few pages would depict it in its stallion form; either underwater with a fish tail or in the long grass beside a lake.

You yawned tiredly and rubbed your strained eyes. Reading the whole book in one sitting definitely had taken its toll on you. You had grown quite drowsy from the many stories but you had barely taken in any valuable information.

"I'll get Bella and go to the meadow again. Maybe it'll still be there even after so many hours", you mumbled to yourself. That was what sleepiness did to you; it refused to let you think and instead it made you utter words without any consideration of the situation.

You wondered if the water spirit would still be there; if it even was a water spirit to begin with. You had begun to doubt yourself. The stories you had just read did not mention anything about the water horses leaving the area of their lake or river. Maybe what you had seen was just a horse that had fallen into a pit of mud.

"If it was a regular horse, Bella wouldn't have been so shaken up from it", you said. You hadn't even warned the village about what you had saw -you forgot- and now you wanted to confirm the presence of the augury of death before you made everyone panic. You didn't want people to give you the stink eye nor shut you out because you had made such a mistake. Not even the ents would look at you, you were sure of that.

You yawned once more and reached with your hand to close the book before picking it up and placing it underneath your bed -the safest place to hide something from your mother. Rarely did she bend over to clean underneath furniture because of her back and waist problems and you had made a habit out of exploiting her weakness by hiding your stuff under your bed. You made sure that the book was quite a distance away from the edge so as not to be visible and invoke your mother's curiosity when she would walk in the room to clean. And then, after quickly putting out the candle, your head hit the pillow and you fell asleep.

~ ~ Φ ~ ~

Morning came by faster than you wanted it to. You had had a wonderful dream, which vanished from your memory after you woke up. There were only little snippets floating in your somewhat drowsy brain and you were trying to piece them together whilst you searched for a reason to not sleep in till noon. You could remember the feeling of not being alone in that dream and the sense of alertness that came with the person who accompanied you in it. It wasn't a nightmare, no but it was awfully close to a vision; and you had never had a vision before or any dream that would cause a deja vu effect.