𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

┌─────────────────┐

"𝙏𝙖𝙗𝙡𝙚𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙮 𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙣 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚𝙨"

└─────────────────┘

(𝟐𝟓 𝐝𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞)

𝐉𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟎𝐭𝐡, 𝐖𝐞𝐝𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲

"𝐘𝐄𝐏, 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 place still sucks," Steve remarked as the two teens trudged down the hallway of Hawkins's High School early Wednesday morning. Valerie tilted her head in acknowledgement, she often tried to distract herself from the fact that she still had another year until she could leave the school behind forever.

"I see your cough has eased up, maybe you shouldn't have called in sick," she mused prompting a sardonic look from Steve.

"Hey, I went a day without water to get my voice sounding that dry," he protested loudly, rubbing pointedly at his throat as he sent her a glare, "and Robin still called me a 'fucking loser' before she hung up."

With a smirk, Valerie nudged him slightly, "You're lucky she agreed to take your shift at all. Faberge should sponsor you. You literally skipped out on work for it, that's some dedication."

"What can I say? I'm committed."

"As long as Robin's not here to interfere with my plan, I could care less," the brunette girl chirped, coming to a halt in front of a familiar door. The makeshift signage barely still held up, the paper torn halfway down the middle, but it still retained its purpose. Hesitantly pushing it open, Valerie poked her head through the door first, gaze landing on a tall man with combed back hair and dark stubble. It was probably the first time she had actually been happy to see Mr. Sullivan.

"I see you take after your father, Miss Hopper," he drawled suddenly, making her jump, she noticed his eyes didn't leave the papers in his hand, "nosy as hell, both of you."

"It's a talent," Valerie responded cynically, shoving the door the rest of the way open and stepping into the room.

Steve trailed uncertainly behind her — not that she blamed him — Mr. Sullivan had failed him twice last year. There was almost a third time, but Valerie had quickly put a stop to that, explaining to him that flunking him again meant Steve would have to retake his senior year, and then he'd have to deal with both of them in the same room every day, thus, Steve passed with flying colours.

Mr. Sullivan sighed, and finally looked up from his work, angling his body to face them. He raised an eyebrow at Steve's presence but didn't comment on it, "You're here rather early, so I'm assuming there's a good reason for it."

"I don't know if I'd call it a good reason," Valerie started, but quickly noted the stern glare he gave her and got to the point, "I just wanted to let you know Robin and I finally chose a film."

"That couldn't have waited until class?" he inquired dully, exhaling wearily. Valerie sent him a forced smile, wringing her hands awkwardly as she formed her reply. Steve bounced impatiently next to her, so she elbowed him lightly, signalling him to stop. "I actually can't make it to class today, I'm babysitting—"

Mr. Sullivan sent a questionable look in Steve's direction.

"—for my neighbours. Family emergency or something, I didn't catch the details."