Chapter 3

Steve was holding a small bundle in his hands as he walked into the room. Behind him was a man who could only be Tony Stark and a woman in a grey pencil skirt and black shirt. She must have been Agent Hill. I was pretty sure she was in Captain America: The Winter Soldier but I'd only seen it once with Miguel in theaters, so she could have been in other movies for all I knew.

"How is she, doctor?" Steve asked.

"Just as healthy as she was before," Dr. Cho replied. "Only, she's conscious now. I took another blood sample to test, but I imagine it'll come out the same as the others."

Steve nodded. "And how do you feel?" He asked, turning to me.

I shrugged. I tried to say I could be better, or worse, but it was like my mouth was glued shut. The words died in my throat and before I could get myself to the point of speaking, Steve was moving on.

"This is Agent Hill," He said. The woman nodded severely at me. "And this is Tony Stark. He was the one who found you." Tony didn't nod. He just looked at me.

Again, I wanted to say I knew that, but my jaw wouldn't move.

"She wants to ask you a few questions," Steve continued.

Agent Hill took a step forward. "Mostly, I just want to know how you got into that bunker and why you were there."

I looked from Agent Hill, to Steve, to Tony, then back to Agent Hill.

"You're not in trouble," Steve said.

"You don't know that, Rogers," Tony said. "She found her way into a Hydra bunker. Maybe she had plans to raid the place."

"How old are you, Mavis?" Steve asked.

"16," I said, finally.

"See, Tony?" Steve said. "She's a kid. Do you want to take it easy?"

"Not really," Tony said.

Steve rolled his eyes.

"I don't know how I got into the bunker," I said. "I—um," I hesitated. What was I supposed to tell them? I barely knew what happened to me. How was I supposed to explain anything to them?

"Just tell us what you do know," Agent Hill said. "Anything at all."

I took a deep breath. I decided to go with a partial truth. Enough that I wasn't lying, but I wasn't telling the whole truth, either.

"I was at an... event with my brother and my friends," I said. "At a comic book shop. I started to get anxious in the crowd so I went outside and... um."

"Keep going," Agent Hill prompted.

"Well, there was this blue light?" I said it like a question, like even I couldn't be sure I was telling the truth, and I was there the whole time. "It was in the alley next to the comic store."

"Blue light?" Steve asked. "What kind of blue light?"

I shrugged. I could meet his gaze. "I don't know. I didn't get a good look at it. It was moving too fast and then... and then it hit me and... the next thing I knew I was in the bunker." It wasn't fully true, but it wasn't a lie, either. All those things happened, but how was I supposed to tell them that three days ago—god, only three days?—they were just fictional characters?

"I told you she just appeared out of nowhere," Tony said. "I assumed she was one of the enhanced until she passed out."

"Like I said," Agent Hill said. "She's not one of Hydra's. I'd be interested to know how she managed to magically appear anywhere out of nowhere."