A Twisted Tale of Two Brothers and A Girl

I could tell she knew that someone was following her. The question was, did she know who? Crack! I quickly ran to the nearest bush and hide. As soon as I was hidden, her head snapped back to where I had been standing. "H-Hello, is s-someone th-there?" She stammered. I didn't dare utter a word, keeping quiet. And then, she ran. I followed right after, staying in the shadows.

"Markus, I think someone's following me..." I hear a few meters away. Foolish girl, haven't you ever watched any horror movies? Never run into a dark alley at night when you think someone is following you. Oh wait, I already knew that. I've been watching you for quite a long time, Emily.

My mother stood in front of me, fuming. "Lucas. This- this behavior has to stop, now. I know you're jealous of your brother. But this idolatry has to stop poor Emily is scared out of her mind." "Just forsake this 'mission' of yours, please we beg of you, son." My father entreated.

"Markus, please just come pick me up. I'm in the alley across the street from that old abandoned diner." Emily pleaded. "Crap, he can't get her. Doesn't she realize he's the real danger?" I whispered. A scream pierced the air. I can hear my brother's voice, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from Emily's phone. Then another scream before, a gunshot rings through the silence. I then realized my brother was further into the alley.

"Emily! We need to leave, like right now!" I whispered-yelled in urgency. "Lucas? Were you the one following me? And what do mean, we need to leave?" She questioned. Booming laughter is heard from somewhere behind us. I grabbed her hand and ran. " When we get to a safe place, I will explain everything." I decided. 'Just pick her up and carry her the rest of the way.' I thought to myself. And so I did.

After thirty minutes of running, I find a crowded diner and manage to get us a seat. "Ma'am, I know this will sound bad, but if you see a guy that looks like this." I show her a picture of my brother. "No matter what, do not let him sit anywhere near us." She looks shocked but musters an "Of course, sir." "Lucas, can you explain now?" Emily speaks up. I sigh. "Yes, I can."

"I am the one who has been following you, for the most part. But you have to understand. I don't want to hurt you. Markus does follow you also. The thing with my brother is that he wants you dead." She gasps but, I continue. " Those screams we heard, my brother was killing someone. I don't know if you noticed his voice wasn't coming from your phone. It was coming from further in the alley." I look at the coffee I bought. "So, you're the one who has been following me. You follow, to protect me from Markus?" I nod.

"I always knew there was something baleful about his behavior," Emily said after a few minutes of silence. "Why did you hang around him then?" I was curious because she knew something was off about him. Her face flushed. "Well, you see, I stayed because of you. I wanted to get closer to you, I wanted to become friends with you, but Markus wouldn't let me near you."

BANG! BANG! "Emily~" My brother's sing-song-like voice called out. "Brother. This has gone on long enough," I chided. "Guys, let's not fight, please," Emily called out to the two of us. The next thing that happened was screaming and gunshots.

My brother and I were bloodied. We were yelling at each other, trying to kill the other. "You know what! Since the two of you want to kill each other over me, I guess I'm the one who needs to die!" Emily interceded, holding a gun to her head. We leap to stop her. We're too late, blood goes everywhere. "Emily!"