Chapter 3

The three witches burst through the front door of their well-loved home, all chattering away, talking over one another. Birdy had tripped over a tree root on their walk back to the house, spraining her ankle. Never one to waste a golden opportunity, she milked her injury to the best of her ability. Nestled between her cousins, she used them as a crutch while she hobbled to the kitchen for some well-deserved tea and hopefully an ice pack.

Nova was still laughing over the image of Birdy flopping face-first into the ground, arms windmilling around her, sending her journal flying. Picturing Birdy's petrified face caused Nova to snort, horrendously spurring her already giddy cousins into a roar. Nova looked over and saw Rose had tears streaming down her face. The girls could barely toss Birdy into a kitchen chair before falling to the floor in a fit of giggles. The cardboard box Rose held toppled out of her hands, flying across the kitchen floor, colliding with a pair of shiny black boots none of the witches had noticed.

"Having a good day, Ladies?" A gruff voice asked.

Nova whipped her head up towards the bay window, where the voice had spoken from. The man stood with his face angled in the shadows; he wore pristinely ironed, black dress pants with an expensive-looking dark grey shirt. His thin arms were folded in front of him, showing off the sterling silver crescent moon cufflinks. The man shifted, moving from the shadows, pulling out a chair before sitting. His once handsome, olive-toned face was wrinkled with age. The man's dark greying hair was smoothed back away from his face, the ends brushing against his shoulders.

Drystan Rahl, the High Witch's most trusted advisor, was sitting at their kitchen table.

Nova cleared her throat." What can we do for you, Drystan?"

His muddy brown eyes met hers, his face showing disdain for what she was sure he perceived as disrespect.

"Can we get you some tea or maybe some scotch?" Rose asked politely, rising to her feet.

Drystan's features changed to delight at the sound of her voice. Flashing her a generous smile, he shook his head.

"No, my dear, I won't be here long. The High Witch sent me to retrieve November. They have much to discuss before the ascension." Drystan's attention shifted back to Nova, who remained stiff on the floor to his further disappointment.

Sighing, Nova moved to her feet, "I just need to freshen up," She moved towards the kitchen door, putting her back to him.

"No need. She is waiting for you in the greenhouse. Perhaps you can do something... productive for once."

Nova knew he didn't like her. He had never been shy about bringing up her faults and lack of accomplishments. Rose, on the other hand, he adored. Drystan had mentioned on more than one occasion Rose was the far better pick for High Witch. She had the drive, the aptitude, and most importantly, she was academically accomplished. Nova couldn't help but agree with him in that aspect. She often thought the same thing. Too bad that's not how the Choosing worked.

A thousand years ago when the rules were written the High Witch was more of a protector, a warrior, than they were a genuine leader. Yes, the times had changed, but it seemed the laws would not evolve with them.

Nova didn't bother looking in his direction. "Let's go then Rahl, best not to keep her waiting." She pushed open the kitchen door, not waiting for him to catch up.

She tried her best to wrestle her anger down. She didn't ask for this. If it was up to her, Drystan would get his way, and she would gladly hand the reins over to her cousin. There was nothing either of them could do, not even the High Witch could change the outcome. It was best to just grin and bear it at this point. You couldn't fight destiny any more than you could stop a hurricane.