Chapter 5

Nova jumped to her feet, peeking out the kitchen door. Yup, that was definitely Brett Lester. All she could make out was a portion of his profile. From what she could see, he was wearing stiff jeans and a dark jacket. His sandy blond hair was cropped short. She knew even from her vantage point his face would be clean-shaven without a hint of stubble. Brett Lester was a perfect soldier. Combat boots and all.

He was already in a deep conversation with her grandmother. Not that it surprised her any. He was a straightforward man. She strained her ears, trying to make out what they were saying. Shit. She couldn't hear a damn thing like this. Nova tried scooting a little further out the door. That is, until Rose rudely pulled her back into the kitchen.

"Hey! What was that for?" Nova whispered, giving Rose a pained look.

"They are going to see you!" Rose whispered back.

Nova huffed, crossing her arms. Rose was right, she was just pissy that she hadn't actually heard anything. Brett only ever visited the coven when something serious was going on. Even then, whenever he met with the High Witch, they had always invited Nova to join in their conversations. Today was a first. She had a feeling today was about to get even more interesting.

"So? Did you hear anything," Birdy prodded.

"Not a damn thing," Nova said, with a shake of her head.

Rose bit her lip. "What were you and Haider fighting about earlier? Did he mention they'd be stopping by today?"

"He was being all macho about the wolves again, nothing new there." She rolled her eyes. "And If he knew about the surprise visit, he said nothing to me. Your guess why they're here is as good as mine at this point."

The witches looked at one another. Nova could tell Rose was thinking hard. Whenever she was deep in thought, she'd scrunch up her nose and stare into space until she had an epiphany. Nova hoped Rose had one fast. She couldn't help but think back to the argument she and Haider had earlier that day. Feeling a little guilty over how she treated him; she knew he meant well, but they didn't have to fear the pack. The rogues were the only threat they faced in that department. Wait, the rogues!

Nova squealed, hitting both witches in the arm so hard she wouldn't be surprised if she left bruises. She was too excited over being the one to have the epiphany first, she couldn't even get the words out. She opened and closed her mouth, gasping like a fish out of water.

Birdy grabbed Nova's shoulders, shaking her back and forth, "Speak woman! Speak!"

Nova swatted Birdy away," Rogues!" A slow grin spread across her lips. "Earlier Haider mentioned something about Rogues being in the area. I cut him off before he could say more, but I'd bet anything that's what they're here about."

"That's my clever girl!" Haider swung the kitchen door open, causing Rose to jump. Nova beamed up at him while he walked to stand next to her. Throwing his arm around her shoulders, he dropped a noisy kiss on the top of her hair. Nova leaned into him, enjoying his comforting presence and the smell of aftershave and peppermint.

"You didn't tell me you'd be stopping by today," Nova said, meeting his eyes.

"That's because I didn't know until I got home." He bumped her hip. "My dad's guys found evidence of a small pack of them. The only reason we're even here now is because it looks like they're getting closer to your territory."