Chapter 14: The Recovery

Whispers rode on the breeze. Most people didn't even try to go back to sleep that night. I'm sure no one could. I heard voices from behind cloth curtains as I made the journey back to my room. Some people congregated in small groups at street corners to speculate and gossip. I cast my eyes down as I passed a group of youth on the street. As I put distance between myself and them, I allowed myself a glance back. Harsh eyes met mine. They were staring at me, watching me walk away.

I blushed and looked forward immediately. I quickened my pace.

Why? Why were they watching me? Cherry had been murdered, and I was still the topic of others' whispers. As much as my heart ached for Cherry, I was grateful I had been far away when she was killed. The events of this night had nothing to do with me. I didn't deserve the stares I was receiving.

I sighed. My Allocation Ceremony had happened a day and a half ago. I wished I could put infinite time between myself and my ceremony and infinite distance between myself and those stares.

I reached my room and closed the curtain behind me. The night opal lantern glowed in the corner. For a moment, I leaned against a wall and simply stared at the light.

I was so tired of crying.

Cherry deserved my tears more than anyone, but I had none left to give. I didn't know how to mourn Cherry. I thought for a moment. I tried to imagine how she would've wanted me to feel and to act. Well, Cherry was always happy and bubbly. Her smile had shone as brightly as the night opal's glow.

Cherry would have wanted me to try to move on. She would have wanted me to try to be happy. I sat upon my bed and leaned against the wall as I continued thinking. For Cherry, I would try to move on and be happy. I would never forget her; I would remember her by remembering what I learned from her. That's how Cherry would've wanted me to mourn her, so I promised myself I would do so. However, I would also mourn her loss in a second way, a way that I got to choose.

Cherry had been killed by an Inferior, and I was going to avenge her.

. . .

Like the rest of the city, I didn't try to go back to sleep that night. Instead, I perused through every word of the scouting instructions. Mrs. Undrea had given me a single page, but the page was packed with words.

The scouts had an important niche in the Atrium's society. They were meant to increase the general security and safety of the Atrium. Everything I read aligned with what Cal and Aidan had already explained to me. Our purpose was to map the tunnel systems, find water and food sources, search for unborn people, and report possible dangers.

There were only a couple of rules in scouting. First, we were generally required to travel in pairs to prevent accidents and to avoid getting lost. We were strongly encouraged to stay within sight and sound of our traveling partner. Last but not least, we were required to be honest and open about all of our findings from our assignments.

I shifted around on my bed as I sat and read the instructions. When I had read everything twice, I stood up. I was pacing anxiously, almost nervously. I simply wanted to do something.

My thoughts kept drifting to everything I had heard about the North Tunnel. Hadn't Bradley mentioned that people went missing down that tunnel? From what I could gather, it had the reputation of being a dangerous, mysterious path. If some strange, old woman had murdered Cherry near the North Tunnel, then she was getting farther away with every moment. Someone had to go after her!

I froze as my thoughts leapt ahead of me. It was time to be a scout! I wanted an assignment to explore the North Tunnel, and I wanted it now! I slipped on my boots, grabbed a jacket and my satchel, and ran outside into the chilly, early morning.