59. Brynn

I hurried down the corridor towards the English department, still in complete shock over the revelation of Shane and Axel but I wasn't in the mindset to take in more of other people's problems

I hurried down the corridor towards the English department, still in complete shock over the revelation of Shane and Axel but I wasn't in the mindset to take in more of other people's problems. The arguments and accusations had started up again and the situation had become more complicated and looking less likely to be resolved and over anytime soon, so I had to walk away. Now I was determined to get to Joseph's classroom more than ever and forget about all of it.

As I turned the corner towards the English department, my phone buzzed in my pocket and I stopped to pull it out. My eyes widened as I saw Tate's name on the text and I hurried to open it.

Are you in your drama studio detention right now?

He was talking to me again. Why did he want to know where I was? Was he on his way to me? I was supposed to be in the drama studio, but I wasn't.

I quickly replied: I just left...what's up?

I paced the dimly-lit corridor back and forth with my phone pressed against my chin as I waited for his response. It came quickly afterwards and I fumbled with my phone in my hand to read it.

I really want to talk. Can you come to my dorm?

I smiled at the words but I felt nervous at the same time. What did he want to talk about? Did he want to make up and forget all about our fight or was this talk to tell me that he was done with me after what had happened between us? Maybe he was telling me that he and Zoe were together now? Maybe he wanted me to leave them both in peace. Whatever it was, I knew I had to know.

I glanced down the corridor, knowing Joseph was expecting me at some point tonight but the choice was simple. Of course, I was going to go to Tate. Joseph would have to wait until another time, and a small part of me was glad that Tate's text had given me a reason to not make the stupid mistake I was about to.

I turned the other way and headed back to the grade 12 wing, walking through the common room and into the boys' dorms behind a group of guys, making it to Tate's room, and I knocked. He opened up immediately and offered me a small smile as he stepped aside and I entered. I glanced around for Zoe, happy that she wasn't around

'Thanks for coming,' Tate said, as he closed the door and sat on his bed. 'You okay?'

Keep up my strong front and lie or be honest with my best friend and be real? I was no longer in control of that decision, as my face crumpled and gave the game away.

'No...' I shook my head as I wrinkled my nose and threatened myself mentally not to cry. 'I'm...uhhh...I'm sad.'

My voice was a weak croak and I hated it. Tate sighed and moved up from the bed to where I stood by his desk and he placed his arms around my waist and hugged me. I let out a heavy breath as I held him back and rested my head on his shoulder, closing my eyes to keep the tears at bay.