Chapter 50

She sat up there in her golden chair and pink clothes, watching us write meaningless words with beady eyes. The spell she put on our quills made it so that every scribble we wrote on the paper, carved into our skin as well. We were all in dreadful agony as we sat in the Great Hall, having no way out of this punishment.

And it was all my fault.

Whenever I came around any of the DA member, I only received disgusted looks. I felt so ashamed for my act, but how could I tell them that I had no intent  for any of this. And to make things better, my closest friends, Chloe and Alyssa, had also stopped talking to me. I had nobody.

When I first came to Hogwarts, it felt like an escape from feeling out of place in the pureblood world. But now... I was out of place here too. I didn't belong.

-

Later that day after detention, I was looking for a potions book in the library when piercing eyes peeled through the hole I created in the bookshelf. The coldness in them made me jump back from fright.

"Merlin, Malfoy! You can't just scare me like that." I scoffed.

"Scary, am I?" Of course he would use this opportunity to toot his own horn, "I didn't even do anything" His voice seeped through the cracks.

I rolled my eyes and started walking down the isles just to get stopped by Draco again, with his signature evil grin on his face.

"Leave me alone." I said, while pushing a piece of hair off my face.

As my hand lifted up, my robe fell down my arm just enough for the carving to show. Malfoy dropped his grin and changed into an angry expression.

"Who did that to you?" He took my arm to inspect it, 'I will not tell lies.' He ran his hand along it.

"Agh!" I croaked and pulled my hand away, "And I think you know exactly who did it."

I avoided eye contact with him, trying not to let him see my expressions.

"Well maybe the lot of you deserve it."

After that comment, I whipped my sight to him in disgust. I gave him a look that could kill. I then leaned next to his ear and whispered.

"I don't care what a deatheater has to say about me or my friends." I walked away abruptly, leaving him speechless for a couple seconds.

"Y/n, I'm not- I haven't taken it!" He shouted after me.

I looked back to him again, "Yet." I could see the guilt cloud his sky-colored eyes.

Suddenly, it started to feel good... to be mean. The shame in his eyes felt comforting. What was becoming of me.

-

In the dorm that night, Alyssa and Chloe gave me yet another wary look; like they were almost scared to come near me. I didn't know what to do or how to fix this. All I really wanted was for everything to go back to normal again, without all the drama and wicked looks. I just wanted my friends back.

But then I started thinking about what was to come soon, specifically in the summer. At any moment, my parents could decide that they wanted me to take the mark. Which in that case, I guess it would be better for my friends to stay away, for their own safety.

I decided to look on the brightest side possible, that at least this way, I could keep my friends safe without having to tell them about me and my family.

Later that night, I was rustling in bed like usual. I hadn't got much sleep lately, too many thoughts on my mind. I slipped my foot out of my blanket and as my skin touched the cold air outside, it made me want more. I quickly leaped out of bed, putting on a comfy robe and made my way out of the dorm.