Chapter 23

⋆ ✵ ⋆

"Intriguing, isn't it?" Professor Lupin said.

We were in Defense Against the Dark Arts while observing some kind of closet. It was shaking as if something were inside.

"Would anyone like to mention a guess as to what is inside?" The teacher asked.

"That's a Boggart, that is." Dean Thomas answered.

"Very Good Mr Thomas." Lupin said.

I glanced to Chloe to see her smiling like a fool while looking at Dean. I laughed a little and have her a silly face.

"Now can anybody tell me what a Boggart looks like?" The professor asked.

"No one knows." Hermione voice came out of nowhere.

"When'd she get here?" Ron whispered to me as he was to my side.

I nodded my head in agreement. I don't remember Hermione being there when we first got here?

"No one knows, Boggart's are Shapeshifters. They take the shape of whatever a particular person fears the most. That's what makes them so-" She went on, but was interrupted by Professor Lupin.

"So terrifying. Yes, yes. Luckily a very simple charm exists to repel a Boggart." He said.

There was a bunch of loud knocks and bangs coming from inside the cabinet.

"Let's practice it now, without wands please.", Lupin said, "After me, Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" We all repeated.

"Very good. Now a little louder. Riddikulus!"

"Riddikulus!" Said us students, with more confidence.

"This class is ridiculous." Draco said in the corner, scowling.

"Very good, well so much for the easy part. You see the incantation alone is not enough. What really finishes a Boggart is laughter. You need to force it to assume a shape you find truly amusing." Lupin explained.

"Let me explain, um Neville! Why don't you join me please. Come on don't be shy!" He said.

Neville looked around in fear. I slightly pushed him.

"You'll do great, Neville." I whispered, trying to assure him.

"Neville, what frightens you most of all?" The professor asked the scared boy.

"Prof.. S..." Neville muttered.

"Sorry?"

"Professor Snape." He repeated louder.

Everyone started laughing, but I just felt bad for him. He'd been forced to go up there even though he clearly didn't want to.

"Professor Snape frightens all. And I believe you live with your grandmother?"

"Yes, but I don't want that Boggart to turn into her either!" Neville said.

More people began laughing again, I turned around to tell them to cut it out.

"No. I want you to picture her clothes, only her clothes very clearly in your mind." Lupin said.

"She carries a red hand bag-" Neville started.

"We don't need to hear. As long as you see it, we'll see it. Now when I open that wardrobe here's what I want you to do.", Professor Lupin said as he walked over to Neville and whispered something, "Can you do that?"