Chapter Three

Everyone made themselves busy: Bolin and Asami went to talk to Varrick in order to further the success of Future Industries, Korra spent time with her family— and found a way to thoroughly annoy Tenzin (for a reason Haitana wasn't sure of), Mako followed Korra around, and Haitana...

Haitana was stuck witnessing her father and Iroh being all friendly, and exchanging stories. The four stayed inside— not too keen on the cold weather, and Roma and Haitana prepared tea for the "guest" in their hut.

"So, tell me more about your new friends," Roma states, as Haitana heats up a kettle with her firebending. "What are they like?"

Haitana smiled a little to herself at the thought of her new group, remembering moments they had exchanged. "Well, obviously, Korra is the Avatar. She kind of has a knack for getting into situations," the girl started, rubbing her hand along the back of her neck. "And Mako? That kid would follow her to the ends of the earth."

"Ahh, so they're in love," Roma said dreamily, clasping her hands together. "That's so beautiful. It's all I could wish for you, one day," immediately after she said it, Haitana cringed.

She was in love, once. Sufon, her first and only love, had completely stomped all over her heart and left her to pick up all the pieces. "I think I've had enough of love," Haitana muttered, becoming defensive.

"Oh, Haitana," Roma cooed, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I hope you haven't completely shut yourself away from it. You've learned important lessons, and you—"

"Mom," she cut her off sharply, almost with a hush— too scared for their so called guest to hear about all the girls problems. "Just... don't."

The woman sighed, retracting her hand. Haitana had a way of shutting off those memories, not allowing herself to feel them anymore. Roma only wanted for her to be happy, to have a life like she had with Elian, but it seemed Haitana was already turned off by the idea— all because of one silly boy.

Preparing the tea in ceramic cups, Roma glanced up to her daughter once more. "Well, what about your other two friends? That pretty girl, and the boy with the fire ferret?"

"Asami and Bolin," Haitana said, grinning. "Asami's really smart— like really smart. She runs Future Industries in Republic City, and she's the best friend I could have asked for. And Bolin... well, I think he reminds me that I don't have to be serious all the time."

Nodding, Roma felt her heart swell. Friends— it was a concept foreign to Haitana. Back in the Fire Nation, she didn't have friends; she didn't have a need for them. Haitana always insisted that animals were more than enough for her. Roma was proud she had found the importance of a having a few friends.

"And," Roma began hesitantly. "How do you know Iroh?"

Sucking in a sharp breath, Haitana glanced back to the small living room of the hut, where Elian was showing him a picture (one that Haitana couldn't see from her position in the kitchen). "Um," she hesitated. "I saved his life a couple times, and he asked me to join the United Forces. No big deal," Haitana spit out fast.

"What!" Roma exclaimed, so loud it caught the attention of the two men. Elian stood from the couch, walking over to the woman who was clutching her chest with shock. Haitana sent her a glare, one that said don't mention it.

Elian held his wife by her shoulders, who was basically slack-jawed in Haitana's confession. Iroh approached too, and for some reason that disdained the girl, stood directly next to her. "Haitana," Elian said in mock superiority. "People have heart attacks you know? You should be more careful what you say."

"So dramatic," she muttered under her breath, rolling her eyes. Haitana took the tray of tea, and began to bring it over to the table with a rigid stature. Before she could take even two steps, Iroh took the tray from her hands, like she needed assistance or something.

Holding it with steady hands, he spoke in a low voice as he passed her. "Allow me," he mumbled, walking over to the table. Haitana crossed her arms at his unwanted help... she saved his life twice, clearly she could carry a tray of tea.

Soon her parents followed, joining him around the table, and Haitana is left standing alone— awkwardly watching. This was almost ridiculous to the girl, how Iroh fit in with her family so well, almost as if they were his own. "Are you going to join us?" Elian questioned, motioning to the seat next to Iroh, and Haitana only huffed.

"No," she grumbled, with her arms crossed as though she were a mere child. "I have to... um..." she stammered over her, clearly, fake excuse. "I told Asami I would, um..  help her pick out an outfit for tonight! Gotta go! See ya," she waved awkwardly before running out of the door to the hut.

Groaning when she stepped outside, she wanted to kick herself at her pathetic excuse for a lie— she was never good at them. Siso peaked out of her bag, giving her a judgmental look. Shoving his head back inside with her hand, she let out another breath, "I get it Siso," she mumbled. "It was terrible, I get it."

It wasn't fair of her— not at all. She shouldn't have been so cold and avoidant towards Iroh, but something in her couldn't help it. Like the very air between them was filled with such a thick awkwardness, the only course she could chose to take was to escape it.

It was a foreign feeling: something in her wanted him to come chase after her. How ridiculous was that? Haitana felt utterly stupid for thinking such strange thoughts. She was having trouble deciphering what feeling it was at all.

What is it called when you want to avoid someone as much as possible, but still hoped they would continue to follow you?