53. By Any Means

1998

1998

"There is, I believe, in every disposition a tendency to some particular evil – a natural defect, which not even the best education can overcome." Draco read the quote to himself until he threw the book, Pride and Prejudice, into the wall. He looked at himself in the mirror and saw a stranger. A stranger that was starting to become a permanent resident in his reflection. The dark circles under his eyes were beginning to sink, and with every passing day more weight shed from his body. "Get yourself together, pussy." He spat at himself in the mirror. A knock on his door caused him to jolt and fidget his posture.

"Draco? Are you alright?" Narcissa inquired while peering in through the door.

Draco nodded lowly and kept his head low. Narcissa crept behind him and squeezed his shoulder.

"What troubles you?"

"I just have a lot on my mind, mum."

Narcissa cupped her son's cheeks and gave him a gentle grin. "Whiskey and anger spurts won't help with nothing. You should know that by now, just look at your father."

Draco lowered his head and wanted nothing more than to please his father but at the same time, be nothing like him. Draco never forgave Lucius for hitting his mother when he was a boy. Ever since Draco became a man Lucius was wise enough not to lay a finger on Narcissa or Draco would strike back. Lucius dressed like a man, spoke like a man, but had the mindset of a coward.

Narcissa picked up the book and began to flip through the notes and scribbles scattered throughout the pages. With every note she read, her face became more astounded. "'Think only of the past as its remembrance gives you pleasure.' Draco, what are you doing reading this rubbish?"

Draco snatched the book and placed it back onto the shelf. "Nothing. It is not my copy. It was Astoria's. It-it – was her favorite novel."

Narcissa sighed. "Constantly looking at artifacts that remind you of her wil—will not ease the pain. Why not cast her aside? It has been months, my son. Perhaps your father and I can re-connect with the Parkinson's and arrange a match. I think it will- "

Draco started to feel his blood boil, the veins on his neck began to appear boldly. Pansy Parkinson was the last female on his mind and marrying her was not going to solve anything. With every word that escaped Narcissa's lips Draco wanted to scream. Without thinking, in a fit of anger, he smashed his fit into the nearest wall. Narcissa gasped and ran to her son's side and cradled his bloody knuckles.

"What has gotten into you!" Narcissa shouted.

Draco watched the blood drip off his hand and onto the carpet. He wanted to feel the pain his hand felt, the feeling of exposed skin, the ache of discomfort, but nothing outstood the pain he felt within.

"Sometimes physical pain carries my mind to a different place for a few minutes. When my mind is not occupied, all I want to do is fucking annihilate anyone and everything." Draco whispered coldly.