Arrived

The whistle of the train blared through the air, cutting through the chatter and murmur. I fought my way toward the window, pushing past bodies and duffle bags until my eager hands collided with the smudged glass. I gripped with my palms as I struggled to keep my eyes on the horizon. The scenery moved by in a blur. Nevertheless my gaze widened at the beautiful lavender dawn that painted the early-morning landscape. Lush forests quickly folded into skyscrapers and darkness into neon city lights.

I had arrived.

"All passengers please hold onto something - I repeat, all passengers please hold onto something. We are nearing Adora Red Station."

The voice echoing overheard was laced with a thick accent, though from where I could not name. How was I to know, anywho? I had only woken up nearly a month ago.

The train came to a sudden halt. I grasped a handle on the wall near the window just in time, though I still was nearly flung into the gray form next to me. Even had nobody gripped something for stability, the crowd would still cushion their blow should they stumble. Everyone surrounding me stood still and waited patiently; albeit I stood out like a sore thumb -- in more reasons than one. I was the only source of color in my particular car. Whilst others were dark, round masses without an exact form - some ever changing but some tall, lengthy figures whose heads touched the ceiling - I was a short, olive-skinned being; or perhaps the only one with any skin. My clothing of choice, red shorts and a yellow tank top, perhaps stood out the most. I was quite unlike them, but they paid me no mind.

As the cabin doors opened, everyone flooded out, their forms changing slowly as they stepped foot out on the station's platform. As I followed suit, every figure around me morphed rapidly, faster than I could comprehend. In front of me was what looked to be a large, broad man with antlers; but when he turned to face someone else, I could see that he had the snout of a deer. Someone beside me had shifted into a faceless ghost wearing a long, white gown. Out from behind me came a group of imps running excitedly like small children. I could hardly keep up. I was astounded.

As the crowd dissolved I was left standing on the platform, constantly adjusting the backpack strap that fell from my small shoulder.

"Miss, uh.. Miss Luna, I presume?" Came a soft, croaking voice from beside me.

I turned to meet the gaze of a short, older man - what looked to be another human, in fact, which delighted me immediately. His stringy white hair hung about the length of his shoulders, but it was slicked back so tightly that I was sure a tornado could not set a strand awry. I smiled and walked toward where he was standing -- and upon further inspection, I noticed that he could not be a human due to his long, pointed ears that poked out from under his hair. I was disappointed, but it did me no damage.

"Yes, Luna, me," I replied a bit awkwardly with a giggle. His smile met mine, and he reached out for my bag. "Oh no, thank you sir, but I can carry it fine. It's very light." I attempted  to demonstrate by lifting it with ease but it betrayed me with its weight. He gave me a suspicious look but shook his head.

"The car is this way. I assume you want to settle in right away, no?" He asked over his shoulder as he turned to walk towards the street. "We are very excited to have you!"

I followed hurriedly after him and hopped in the back seat of a small red car without hesitation as the door was held for me. The driver took his time taking off, but I savored every second I had observing the city through the comfort of my window.

The streets were littered - not with trash, but with beings of which I had no prior knowledge had even existed. Forms and creatures of all types walking small, pet-like creatures on a leash, pale humanoids with parasols to shield them from the sun, people with the features of different types of animals -- my curiosity would never be satiated, I thought. Few and far between were dark, shadowy masses, the types that surrounded me on the train. Why they chose that form, I wasn't quite sure. My uneducated guess was that it happened when they were avoidant or shy of being seen for who they were. I did not understand much about these curious creatures. Nevertheless, not a one was human.