Chapter 3

I woke up the next morning again in the same clothes I wore the day before. I got changed and went to go wait in line but there was no in line. So I went to my room and waited. Gene came in with two charts with him.

“Why do you have two charts?”

“One is yours and one is Derek’s.”

“Why do you have Derek’s did you just see him?” I asked even though I knew that wasn’t the answer.

“No, something strange came back when I was testing the blood I had taken yesterday.” He said staring at me. He knew it was only a matter of time before someone found out. “We Just updated are computers so when I tested the blood the DNA went into the computer and the computer matches DNA.” He paused as if to give me a chance to talk but when I didn’t he continued. “The computer went off saying there was a match, I looked at it and your and Derek’s names popped up. At first I thought it ment you were brother and sister, but that wasn’t the case.”

“You know.”

“Yes, does he know?”

“No.”

“Why haven’t you told him?”

“I was embarrassed I didn’t want anyone to know.”

“Does his father know that he’s here?” By here I assumed he ment alive.

“Yes, he doesn’t know he’s in this town though.”

“How?”

“I have to go meet Derek and we haven’t even started my check in.”

“Okay, give me your arm.” I held out my arm and he drew my blood. “You can go now.”

“Meet me at the old playground at dark.” I told him then left.

By the time I got to the park it was one, I hadn’t looked at my clock this morning so I have no idea how long I was there. He wasn’t there so I walked to the mess all to find him. When I got there he was sitting outside eating his food.

“Sorry, I’m late I have no idea what time I got up and my check in went long again.”

“It’s okay, they have burgers and fries today.” He said struggling to bite his burger.

“Okay, you stay here while I get my food.” I went inside and went through the line and joined Derek outside and ate.

“What do you want to do today?” I asked him.

“I could help you with your chores.”

“Yeah, okay but it shouldn’t take that long, we can go to the old playground when were done.”

“Okay.” When we were done eating we walked to my house I grabbed the laundry I washed the day before, I folded the clothes and Derek folded the socks in my room then I put the clothes main room so that everyone could grab the clothes when they came through. By the time we made it to the old playground the sun was already setting.

“Do you want me to walk you?”

“No, I’ll be fine.” He gave me a hug then left. I sat on a swing and waited. Gene showed up at dark like I told him to and sat down on the swing next to me.

“Dr. Eget what was your last question?”

“You can call me Gene. You said before that Derek’s father didn’t know he was in this town; How?”

“I told him that I sent our son to a different town.”

“Why?”

“I didn’t want his father to be around him and he didn’t want to know him.”

“Who is his father if you don’t mind me asking?”

“No, you are my doctor and you’re going to find out sooner or later might as well find out now.” I told him partly lying because it did make me uncomfortable to talk about it, I don’t know him very well and he was just assigned to me but like I said he was going to find out eventually. “A guy who lives in my house.” I told him then added. “His name is Red.”

“Red?”

 “That’s not his real name, it’s actually Fred but everyone calls him Red.”

“Does anyone else know?”

“Only the people who were around when I started to show; one of the doctors figured it out and I was sent somewhere else to have him.”

“So this Red guy has never met his son?” Gene asked.

“No, when I told him I was pregnant he told me he wanted nothing to do with it.”

“That’s why you told him his son is in a different town?”

“Yes. I didn’t think he should know his son is here if he didn’t want anything to do with him.” I told him. “You didn’t tell any of the other helpers did you?”

“No, why?”

“I don’t want any of them spreading the word that I have a son and that he’s still here.”

“He’s going to find out soon.”

“How do you know?”

“Remember what I told you about the computers?”

“Yeah.”

“Well tomorrow when he goes in for his check in they’ll tell him the same thing I told you today.”

“Will they tell him where he is?”

“I don’t know, are you afraid Red will hurt him.”

“I don’t know what he’ll do, but he’ll be leaving in a couple months.”

“Why, would he be leaving?”

“He’s nineteen before he’s twenty he’ll be taken away.”

“Do you want to go get something to eat?”

“Sure.” We walked to the mess hall, got our food and sat down at a table.

“So was this Red guy a jerk or just an idiot.”

“Kind of both I just didn’t realize it until it was too late.”

“How old is Derek?” he asked.

“Didn’t you have his file?”

“Yeah, but I just write down notes.”

“Oh, he’s four I think.”

“You don’t know for sure.” He said questionably and raised an eye brow.

“No, I don’t know his birthday.”

“I’ll look at his file and tell you tomorrow.”

“Thanks. Will they tell Derek that they found his parents?”

“Probably, do you not want him to know?”

“I don’t want him to be mad at me.” When we were done eating he walked me back to my house. I walked inside and everyone was sitting in the main room. Does no one have anything more important to do than to wait up until I get home? I ignored them and went to my room and for once I got changed before I went to bed. I grabbed the book that Gene left me and read from where I left off.

Comment and vote please and if you like it, tell people about it.