{Jet} Healer {pt.1}

A/N: Hey everyone! Here's a request from a special user on Quotev that I decided to make into a two part story because of all the ideas i had for the prompt. It's the first Jet centered piece that I've ever done (if we aren't counting that super long fight scene in the Boy in the Tea Shop lol), and it was surprisingly interesting to write! I personally think Jet is a bit underrated character wise, and I honestly wish he had gotten a better redemption arch. Anywho, enjoy part 1 of Healer!

Special thanks to one of my new editors, @FoundMyMuchness who was kind enough to help me edit this!

The sun had just risen over Ba Sing Se. The sky was an orange tint with only a few clouds in sight, the kind of day that always puts you in a good mood. You had opened the curtains wide, letting streams of sunlight fall into your living room, warming and brightening the space. You put a teapot full of hot water on top of the pot stand, using your spark rocks to begin heating it. Your parents hadn't woken up yet, and you didn't plan on waking them up any time soon.

You were the child of a mixed couple, with your mother being a refugee from the Northern Water Tribe and your father being a local in Ba Sing Se. Your mother moved to Ba Sing Se a long time ago, after the man she was originally arranged to marry died fighting in the war. Being a waterbender and a healer, she became very popular among the locals, opening her clinic in the Middle Ring, where she healed anyone who needed it. That's how she met your father.

Eventually, of course, they had you, and as fate would have it, you were a healer and waterbender, as well. Your mother taught you as much as she could, and as soon as you were old enough, you began helping her. Even with your help, though, business could still be tiring. That was why you were letting them sleep.

You sprinkled a few jade tea leaves into the water, looking out the window and watching the houses around you begin to wake up. Your neighbor, Mrs Yao, was out watering the flowers in her garden. A few stray cats sat out in the alleyway, their tails swaying patiently as a boy, the son of one of the other neighbor's, left out a saucer of milk for them. A newlywed couple kissed each other goodbye as one of them began her commute to work, the other bouncing a small baby on her hip. A group of children chased each other down the street, giggling and playing as they slowly made their way to school.

It was rare you got to see such a scenic morning. Perhaps you would take a walk after breakfast, just to enjoy it a little more. The gardens around this area were always nice to walk through, and you were sure they'd be even nicer with the weather.

You continued looking out the window, thinking about all the ways you could enjoy this fine morning, eventually having to check on the tea. You took it off its stand, putting out the fire and pouring yourself a cup. You sighed, holding the cup up to your lips and breathing in the scent of hot tea. Jade had always been a favorite of yours

A sharp, urgent knock rang out, startling you. You couldn't think of anybody who would be visiting this early, so you hurried over to the door. You opened it just enough to peek out and felt your heart drop. You felt panic wash over your body, the scenic morning turning all the more grim.

In front of your house stood two people, a boy and a girl, holding up an unconscious and seriously injured boy in their arms. The girl had clearly been crying, the paint on her face was smudged and you could tell just from the expression of the boy helping her that whatever had happened was not good. As for the boy they were carrying, he didn't look good at all. His eyes were shut, he couldn't stand and he could barely breathe.

"Please," the girl spoke, desperation in her voice. "Our friend was attacked by an earthbender. We heard a healer lives here and we need to see her."

You stammered, struggling to think. Panic was setting in, and you couldn't get out a single sound. You didn't know what to do, but you'd have to figure it out. You took a deep breath in, clearing your mind and beginning to think. Stepping to the side, you began to speak.