1: Letter in the Mailbox

A week after Sadie left her diary on a farm across town, she finds a mysterious letter addressed to herself.

It had been a week since the lone Sadie had left her diary in a garbage bin across town, in one of their uncle's farms located in Batangas City. For the first few days, she was devastated; Sadie had been contemplating whether leaving her diary in a faraway place was the right thing to do for her to overcome her inner challenges. 

The thing is, her journal—was her only companion throughout this crisis she and everyone else had been experiencing. The global pandemic really hit the world hard, causing great adversity to all its inhabitants. The young woman had faced mild depression and sudden anxiety attacks now and then, with no one to turn to; only her friend, the diary—named Sadie as well. 

Basically, she's her only friend, herself, and no one else.

Anyway, Sadie could've had friends, but her trust issues had refrained her from accepting new people in her life. After her best friend for more than a decade betrayed her, she wouldn't trust anyone anymore, and that's very acceptable, so, no worries, Sadie.

It was five in the afternoon, and Sadie was working on her essays when Mama Susan called from downstairs. "Sadie! Get down here, kid!"

"Wait!" she responded, loud enough for her voice to reach the first floor. She dashes toward the stairs and to the living room, panting as she asks her mother. "What is it?"

"Get the mail," says Mama Susan. "And God forbid a six-thousand peso electricity bill."

"Oh, right," Sadie sighs. "Time to pay bills again. I'll get the mail. Fingers crossed!"

"You speak like you're the one paying bills!"

"I'm crossing my fingers for you, Ma!"

​Sadie almost wanted to pay tribute to whomever deity there was, for those gods to cast upon their family bills that don't cause their mother's episodes. Every time Mama Susan catches a glimpse of their things-to-pay, she scolds everyone in the house and cuts all her children's allowances.

She hastily opens the wooden mailbox, shutting her eyes closed as she snatched the two white envelopes inside. Letting out a sigh, she opens the first envelope, Meralco's orange logo being the first thing her eyes witness. "Please let it be less than six; please let it be less than six..."

Sadie closes her eyes once again, then opens one eye to peek at the electricity bill. "Aha!"

"Thank goodness!" she jumps up and down repeatedly, "No allowance cuts!"

After quite a moment of rejoicing, her brows furrow upon seeing the other envelope; and it wasn't white, after all.

"Huh," she chuckles. "I didn't know my brother had a girlfriend yet."

The envelope was of light beige color, and its skin was soft to the touch. Sadie puts the envelope near her nose, inhaling the fragrance of the sophisticated piece of paper. The young woman ponders as to whom it may belong, and her eyes widen in astonishment when she turns to see what was written in the back.

#32 Montero Street, Blk. 30, Phase 1 Rodriguez Rizal, Eastwood Residences

"Tell me," she whispers to herself. "...why do I have a letter?"

To: Sadie M.

With haste, Sadie tears the envelope open, unfolding the piece of paper inside, only for her stomach to go into knots upon reading the first few words written inside. Deep down, she almost wanted to repeatedly bump her head against the wall or just disappear away from Earth for the sake of her dignity.

22nd of July, 2020

Bauan, Batangas

Hello, Sadie.

How are you? Apologies for writing too late. And sorry for not introducing myself first. I suppose you're getting the creeps right now, but don't fret; I'm not some weird stalker.

I'm Ethan—and I've read your diary.