Chapter Five

<Heya, HairyMclairy here! Sorry that all this so far feels rushed. That's because it is, as exposition is a slog to write and I wanted to get to the fun bit :( But the romance starts here!

*clap clap clap*

Just a forewarning-- the tone and intensity may vary. I'm trying to figure out my own sexuality, as I'm not fully sure if I'm gay or ace, so this will kinda be reflecting how I'm feeling at the time of writing.

Also, there's (obviously) going to be songs from here on out. I'll basically just put suggestions of what I was thinking of while writing, but feel free to just imagine whatever music you want.

Warning: I will use a lot of mlp songs. Sorry, but there's, like, actual sirens, so the lyrics are perfect!

And I also like mlp. It's brightly coloured magical ponies talking about friendship, there's honestly not much to dislike. Sue me. (Don't actually)

That's all from me! On with the story!>

- - -

Tyri absent-mindedly sang to himself as he swam, munching on a strand of seaweed. He smiled as a warm current passed him by, and began to follow it. Having lived in the shallower waters for the last three or four years, he could scarcely believe that the sirens could stay so deep underwater when there was such a wonderful place as this. Oh, the deep sea fish were beautiful in their own way, and the glowing algae often looked almost magical when it drifted in the water, but the dangers of the deep were too much for Tyri to risk with so little justification. Although he was thankful for the experience, as it did help to have a few successful escapes under his belt when dealing with sharks and other shallow water sea monsters, he didn't want to face another sea wyrm for anything, never mind the Leviathan.

And besides, what could compare to the beauty of a coral reef?

Brightly coloured fish darted in and out of the plants, some smaller than Tyri's finger while others were as long as his arm. Most scattered at his approach, but a brave few remained. Tyri smiled as he swam by. When he'd first left the Sand-Shrine clan, he'd thought he'd have to live in the same way as he had with them, finding himself a home and hunting from it. But he'd soon realised it was easier to simply wander, and had become something of a nomad in recent years. In fact, he wasn't fully sure if he could remember where the sirens were, exactly.

This was the closest he'd ever dared venture to the shallower waters, and though he may have seemed relaxed, every sense was on full alert. He couldn't risk being seen by the humans-- not when he knew what they were capable of doing from his old life-- but his wanderlust was sated by the drifting lifestyle he led and he no longer really cared about seeing the outside world. He had everything he needed, right here in the ocean.

Another song caught his attention, faint and distant, and he fell silent. Straining his ears, he could just make out the lyrics. Nothing from Earth, of course, but he'd never heard a siren actually sing words before. In fact, he hadn't heard another siren sing in years.

Now he was torn. There were other clans, of course, but Sand-Shrine was one of the largest and most respected, and Reuben was well-known throughout them all. Tyri couldn't say for certain how far the news of his escape had spread, but knowing the sirens it was probably quite far. A lone siren, his age, with the glowing tattoos still faintly visible under his skin? He couldn't be mistaken for anyone else, and he didn't know what they'd do to him if they caught him.

But at the same time he found himself longing for company, of any kind. He'd gone years without speaking to another intelligent being, and he didn't know if he could stand it for much longer.
What was the likelihood of the siren being able to catch him anyway? With the time to work on his harmonies without the displeasure of his father falling upon him his skill had progressed rapidly, and he could sing about half of the songs he knew at the drop of a hat. It did feel like he was reaching his limit, and he could feel the strain on his mind when he tried for more complex harmonies, but he was quite certain that very few sirens would be able to resist the power of his song. He might only have half the strength of a more pure singer, but the complexity of human music was sure to overwhelm anyone. If the worst came to the worst, he'd be able to escape.