Chapter Six

Tyri froze, instantly aware of the sharp flint edge tickling his throat.

"W-what?"

Lionel circled him warily. "I said. Don't. Move."

Tyri slowly raised his hands. The opposite of what was asked, true, but he wanted to show how harmless he was.

"Okay. Can I... Can I ask why?"

"You can."

Tyri waited a moment, but the other siren was silent. "Oh. I can. Gotcha. Why?"

"Because you're a siren."

"And you're not?"

Lionel glared at him suspiciously. "No. Of course not. I'm a merman."

"And the difference is...?"

Lionel looked at him incredulously. "What do you mean, 'and the difference is'? Our species have been at war for centuries!"

"...have we?"

"Of course we have!" Lionel exploded. "The conflict might have died down but we're bitter enemies. Even the merchildren are taught about the atrocities you commit in school."

"Oh. I didn't even know you existed."

That only made Lionel more furious.

"Just like a siren! Self-absorbed, selfish. It's your fault that the humans are so untrusting of us."

"I thought that was because the humans literally try to kill us every time we see them."

"Yes, because of what you do! Dragging them down to the deep to drown them."

"We don't drown people. Why would we do that?"

For the first time, Lionel looked a little uncertain. "Because... I don't know, you're sirens! You don't need a reason!"

Tyri was hurt. "Well, I do need a reason to end a life. And it'd better be a pretty damned good one, too."

"Liar."

What was he meant to say to that?

"Look. You can believe what you want about me, I don't care. I'll just get off your land. You never have to see me again."

Lionel scoffed. "As if."

Hm?

"Why not?"

"You're a siren, on mer territory. You could be a spy for all I know, or trying to infiltrate our society. Either way, you're a prisoner of war. You're coming with me."

Tyri sighed. "Fine."

He could just escape with his song later.

"And don't even bother resisting. I'm a royal guard, so I have an immunity charm to the enchanting power of song."

Well, that wasn't good.

Lionel pulled a pair of handcuffs from under his shirt, and Tyri held his hands out with a sigh.

"Nuh uh." Lionel shook his head. "Hands behind your back."

It was Tyri's turn to look at him incredulously. "Do you want to drag me everywhere?"

"What?"

"Dorsal fin, babes. You may not have one, but I can't swim without it."

"Don't insult me," Lionel pouted. Tyri found it charming.

"Insult you?"

"Yes. You called me 'babes'. I don't know what it means, but it's obviously some siren insult!"