Chapter 9: Traumatic Memories

Everyone looks at Akahito in shock. They have never seen him so frightened before.

"Please, Kokuro!" He pleads, "Don't do this. I have changed! I swear!"

Kokuro looks to the bright blue sky.

"What do you mean she put us in his memory??" Shouts Andrus, "What is going on??"

"Just follow me. You'll see" Kokuro says in a dark ominous tone.

He starts to walk down the trail towards the clearing with the burnt village. Evander helps Akahito up and follows everyone. When they reach the clearing, the village is completely rebuilt. It is completely teeming with life. Dozens of people with bright blue hair work around the village.

"This was my home," Kokuro says, "This was about 6 years ago"

"Akahito!" A woman's voice shouts.

Everyone looks around to find where the voice came from. Out of one of the houses steps a beautiful woman; her long blue hair is tied back with a purple ribbon. Tears start to fill Akahito's eyes as he mutters to himself "Mother..."

Suddenly, a younger version of Akahito steps forward to the woman. "What do you want?" The younger Akahito says.

The woman sneers. "Just because you're leaving the village for school doesn't mean you need to disrespect me like that!" She shouts.

"I don't care!" Akahito shouts back, "I can't wait to leave this place!"

"At least we're doing a good job with your brother! Maybe Kokuro won't be such a failure and disappointment to the kingdom!" The woman retorts.

Kokuro looks at the woman with nostalgia. "Whatever! What do you want?" Akahito shouts.

The woman puts up a blue paper fan to her face. "We need to practice the ceremony for Kokuro's marriage. Go find him. I believe he's out on a hunt. We can't postpone this any longer. It took so much work to arrange" she says.

"Fine" Akahito growls, "Just leave me alone when I do this last thing for you!"

Younger Akahito storms off. The present Akahito looks down at the ground; as if he was ashamed of something. Before Akahito can leave the village, a small girl with short hair and a long dress tugs his hand. She's about 12 years old. He stops in his tracks and looks at her. In a small, sweet voice, the girl says "Can you make sure to bring him back safely? I want to be a good wife that your mother can approve of..."

Akahito sighs and squats to meet her eyes. He gives her a warm smile and softly says "I promise. And you'll be an amazing wife, but do not do anything to impress that witch"

He leans towards the little girl's ear and whispers "She's crazy! Do what makes you happy"

The little girl returns a sweet smile. "Thank you," she says.

Akahito nods his head, stands back up, and walks out of the village. Evander looks at present Akahito and says, "What happened?"

He stays silent as he continues to look at the ground. Evander looks at the group with concern. Everyone follows Akahito into the woods. "Can they see us?" Acacius asks Maya.

She looks at him in confusion. Kokuro stops and asks "Can they see us?"

Maya shakes her head. The group continues to follow the memory of Akahito. "Where are we headed?" Eden asks Kokuro.

Kokuro stays silent. Suddenly, Akahito stops and listens around him. The sound of giggling emanates nearby. Kokuro turns to the direction of it and gains a look of sorrow. Akahito walks to the side and pushes aside a small branch. Sitting next to a river is younger Kokuro. He is sitting with another girl. She has short black hair. Her clothes are completely ragged in comparison to Kokuro's. They're both giggling and blushing. Kokuro suddenly gazes into the girl's eyes and leans in for a gentle kiss.