Chapter 39: One to Go

Acacius stands before a large gate with a crest posted in the center of it. He had made it. Acacius takes a deep breath and pries the gate open. In the distance, he can see a large mansion. Despite the bright blue sky and the beautiful landscaping, all he can feel is anxiety and anticipation. Acacius starts making his way down the long paved driveway. The closer he gets to the mansion, the clearer the image of a man standing on a balcony appears. He has a powerful aura emanating from his posture alone. He wields a spadroon on his waist. Acacius looks up at the man.

"Father," says Acacius

The man remains silent as he looks down at Acacius, and then he suddenly snaps his fingers. Acacius tenses up as the front door to the mansion opens up. Dozens of men and women file out from the building. Each of them brandishing short swords and a variety of firearms. As Acacius slowly becomes surrounded, each man and woman maintains an excessive amount of space away from him. Acacius' father turns and retreats into the mansion.

"You don't have to worry about him. We have our score to settle!" shouts a woman's voice

Acacius looks back down, and his eyes widen with rage. The woman's short, curly red hair bounces up and down with her every step.

"You...It can't be!" Acacius says through gritted teeth

The woman returns a devilish grin.

"So you do remember me, eh? I'm not sure if I even introduced myself. My name is Roxie" she chuckles

Acacius clenches his jaw in rage as he remembers her sword slicing through Akahito's neck.

"You and your little friends did quite a number on us. As the last heir of the Takayama family, I am obligated to return the favor" says Roxie.

She snaps her fingers and one of her goons quickly jogs towards her. He hands her a large scythe.

"No...That can't be..." says Acacius as tears well up in his eyes

"Well of course it is. I had to have a memory of that day oh so long ago, and I found it just sitting on a grave. So I took it." Roxie chuckles.

She raises the weapon into the air, confirming to Acacius that she wields Akahito's scythe. Acacius' black flames instantly ignite. His hair turns jet black as he radiates the purest form of rage.

"Now!" shouts Roxie

A series of chains flurry around Acacius. Acacius gasps as each of his limbs become entangled in the chains.

"Kill him!" shouts Roxie

Multiple goons quickly grab Acacius' chains and pull in different directions. He can't move. Acacius roars as he engulfs his entire body with black flames. The intense heat softly spreads throughout the chains.

"He's trying to break through them! Hurry!" shouts one of the goons

A woman in sleek black clothes sprints forward. She quickly unsheathes a short, but dangerously sharp blade. She speedily appears in front of Acacius and swipes her blade downwards. Acacius leans his head to the side as best as he can. The blade slices straight through the side of his neck and into his shoulder. The woman tries to yank the blade out, but it doesn't seem to budge. Acacius growls as he bares his teeth at the woman. Before anyone can react, Acacius sinks his teeth into the woman's throat. Blood streams down her neck as Acacius bites down with even more force. The goons stare at Acacius in disbelief. Acacius throws his head back; taking the woman's esophagus with him. Blood sprays out of her open wound as she desperately clutches it. The life in the woman's eyes quickly fades away. Before her body can even reach the ground, the chains around Acacius' body glow bright red and then suddenly are snapped apart. Acacius ignites his large black-flamed wings. Roxie's expression changes from confidence to worry. She remembers how terrifying and traumatic it was to fight Acacius.