CHAPTER 1 THE MYSTERIOUS WELL

In a leafy London street of identical Victorian terraced houses, at number 13. Mrs.Daniel put the last pancake on the plate in triumph. Another great breakfast cooked by her, not that anyone in her family appreciated it. Both her husband and daughter were busy being professionals at creating an uncomfortable atmosphere in the house.

 Her daughter Lynn was like a bat, staying in her room the whole day. She didn't like anything but the moon; it was all she could talk about. Mr. Daniel was busy at work, not spending a single day at home. If he has a free day, he would rather spend it with his friends. Mrs. Daniel didn't like the situation, but what upset her the most was that Lynn was ignored by her own father. He seemed to have no interest in her and avoided her as much as he could. He had a reason, and Mrs. Daniel knew it very well; a thing about their daughter that they didn't want her to ever know. Mrs. Daniel shook her head, she caught herself squeezing the bottle of honey so tightly that it had overflowed from the plate and was now dripping on the floor. She hadn't realized.

Mrs. Daniel went upstairs to wake Lynn up for school; waking her up was a huge problem as Lynn always stayed awake during the night, so she tended to go to school late. Mrs. Daniel tried her hardest to persuade her to adjust and be like everybody else, but it hadn't worked so far. Lynn was wholeheartedly obsessed with the moon, believing that it could talk to her, which Mrs. Daniel found very silly, but today she would put an end to that. Mrs. Daniel shook her head again as she wondered why she always thought too much, now her head was starting to hurt.

She would then pull out her most precious possession, a telescope that was once given to her by her grandmother, and point it at the sky. Beaming as she saw the moon and stars in greater proximity and picturing herself flying amongst them. 

As dawn approaches and the sun begins to rise Lynn grows tired as if someone had switched her off. Her mother was really concerned about this and even took her to the hospital. Lynn had no idea why she couldn't sleep at night, but it didn't worry her. She really disliked it when her mother made it a big deal.

WhileLynn was sleeping peacefully after a long night talking to the moon, she heardfootsteps coming up the stairs, she knew it was her mother. Her eyes openedwide, and she leaped out of bed in panic and sprinted to open the curtains. Thelast time her mother found her sleeping past 8 she made her sleep in the livingroom (she can't see the moon from that side). Lynn dashed to the bathroom toshow her mother that she was awake. 

As Mrs. Daniel entered the room, her mouthcurved into a smile at the sight of the empty bed and she left the room. Lynn sighed with relief as she heard her mother's footsteps fading away. Still yawning she pulled on her school uniform and black hoodie and looked at her reflection in her mirror. She saw a girl with dark raven hair that framed a face that was unusually pale, a luminous white that her mum would often compare to paper. What Lynn loved most about her appearance were her light blue eyes, they sparkled like the ocean and betrayed her true spirit behind the quiet and reserved girl that most people seemed to think she was.

Lynn hurried downstairs for breakfast, ready and dressed. 

"Good morning." Mrs. Daniel chirped, as she served the pancakes, "Did you sleep well?" she asked suspiciously as she stared at her daughter's drooping eyes. 

Lynn knew she'd be in trouble if she told the truth so she replied quickly, "Yes" 

Her mother narrowed her eyes but then grinned unexpectedly. "Well, then, fine. I want to take you somewhere today after school." Mrs. Daniel saw that Lynn had opened her mouth. 

"I'm not going to say where... It's a surprise." She said immediately before Lynn could ask. Lynn nodded and took her seat at the table. As soon as she had begun eating, her father walked in with his briefcase in hand. Mr. Daniel entered without looking at Lynn and sat at the table, his face obscured by a newspaper. There was silence, Mrs. Daniel glanced from Lynn to Mr. Daniel. She saw Lynn looking at her dad and felt a pang of pity for her daughter.