first day at liberty

There was a knock on the bathroom door. I didn't realise how long I had been getting ready in there. But I wanted to look good on my first day at my new school, Liberty High School. This year I was going to be a cheerleader, something makes me feel like it's going to work out better this year at a new school. Now that I'm a Sophmore and not a Freshmore anymore, I can only be optimistic, right?

I must have been completely lost in thought because when I turned my gaze to the mirror again, maybe I had been doing that all along, but only now did I realise that I had put on far too much make-up, "Charlet, how much longer. I want to be able to take a shower one day" That was Charlie, my twin brother. And he had to say that just as I was trying to fix my eyeliner with a cotton pad and some micellar water. I just couldn't do it, make-up was just not my thing. I could cry but I wanted to make a good impression. Charlie banged on the door again.

"I'm coming" As I was leaving I did a quick bun which I was sure looked awful even though I couldn't see it. I unlocked the door and when Charlie saw me I noticed that he was trying hard to suppress his laughter. "Go ahead and say it. I look awful. Our new classmates will hate me. Look how I look" For a moment I looked at myself and then I buried my face in my hands, almost on the verge of tears.

Charlie put his thumb under my chin to lift my face up. "Listen Charlet, you are beautiful. With or without make up. Even with that on, you're beautiful. Besides, you have a fantastic character, the people there will love you" The corners of my mouth unconsciously formed into a smile "And now, sis -" He put his arm around me so that he could pull me out of the bathroom and into the hallway "we'll go to school together and you'll show everyone there what a great classmate they've got".

Charlie pulled me down in his arms to the kitchen. Now, finally, he let go of me. And pointed with his index finger to the dining table where there was a plate of cookies and two iced coffees. The cookies were not just any cookies, they were Charlie's speciality granola cookies. They really have an extraordinary effect. The two mugs of Iced Coffee had a name on them- Monet's,the name of a coffee shop near our house. Back when we moved here with Dad we stopped in there. I was still raving about the coffee for days afterwards. I generally love coffee. Dad must have got it for us before he left for work.

"You baked cookies? Your granola cookies? You know, Charles Hayden Brixton St. George, you're the best brother in the world" I rushed at him even though I was standing only a metre away from him and hugged him nice and tight. He liked it when I called him by his full name. I also had a long name, we were twins after all. Mine is Charlet Harmony Bria St George. "To go" Charlie checked the watch on his wrist,took the holder with the two iced coffees on it and walked out the door. Before he did he turned to me and said "Don't forget to take a cookie" so I took not one but two cookies from the rack and followed him, locking the door behind me as I left.

There was a car parked in front of the house, it looked expensive even though I didn't know what kind it was. Cars were not my thing, Charlie's were. To my amazement he waved at the boys sitting inside. There were two of them to be exact. The one sitting on the driver's side had blue eyes, short blond hair and rosy cheeks. Dad might call his look boyish, I would just say he looked nice. In the passenger seat was a boy with beautiful hazel eyes and brown hair. His face was very distinctive which I noticed immediately. They were both wearing sports jackets with the liberty logo on them, which made me think they were athletes. Maybe it just seemed that way to me but the passenger eyed me until our eyes met for a moment.

Maybe I was confused but I would never admit to anything like that. "We'd better hurry or we'll miss the bus. Isn't it enough that my make-up is messed up and my hair is unkempt?" I crossed my arms in front of my chest and walked towards the bus stop but Charlie held me back with a grin on his lips "Where are you going sis?" He pointed with his head to the car "They are here for us. That's our ride but if you'd rather take the bus then fine" He shrugs and walks towards the car. I follow him of course, maybe it was because of the boy in the passenger seat, he had something special.