chapter one

This book has been edited but please point out any grammar or spelling mistakes.

Didn't think I'd ever have to say this but...can all you #rr stop ruining the story with your not-so-subtle comments.

I will mute you.

Thank you, L x

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆☽Ⓛ❈Ⓒ☾⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

Emery's POV.

The Whitlock Academy is a finishing school for all Lamia aged sixteen to eighteen.

The academy, founded in 1485, provides all Lamia with the skills, knowledge and strength to succeed in our world.

In addition to a quality education, we have our own Prophets who will help your child to discover their prophecy and, therefore, their place in our world.

I read the booklet from back to front as the car flies along the road, hurtling towards my future.

Lamia is the Latin word for vampire. Us bloodsuckers thinks it makes us sound less scary to humans. It doesn't. It's only one letter off being labia, in my opinion.

"Are you excited, darling?" My mother asks from the passenger seat.

I look up from the booklet and meet her hopeful gaze. I force a smile, purely for her benefit.

"Yes," I lie smoothly.

No, I'm not excited.

I have to go to a school where everyone in my year group has already known each other for a full year. I missed the last year of school. That would have been the right time to start, when everyone was new together.

I was supposed to start at the academy at sixteen with everyone else. I am arriving now at seventeen. Everyone has already made friends, formed groups. I have to infiltrate that and, I'll be honest, I'm petrified about it.

My only saving grace is that I have Honey. Honey and I went to the same secondary school. We've known each other for four years. I messaged her to let her know I'd be coming to the academy in September, and she asked if I wanted to be put in her dorm.

Obviously, I eagerly agreed. I've been assigned to her dorm. It will be me, Honey and two other girls that Honey is friends with. At least I will be living with someone I know.

"Has Honey texted you this morning?" Mum asks.

"Yes. We've spoken."

"Good. I'm so glad you have her. I was worried about you."

Me, too, Mum.

At the academy's suggestion, I am coming in a week after school has started. The headmaster thought it would be better if I started after everyone else had already returned and had time to catch up. He said it would be easier for me because the students would have 'calmed down' somewhat.