The Last of the Real Ones

"Okay, okay, okay, but when did you guys kiss?"

Tobi pursed his lips, annoyed at being interrupted by Mattias for the third time. "I'm getting there," he assured.

Mattias gave an apologetic smile and let Tobi finish telling the story.

"We ate at the café and when we left it began to rain. I'm not sure what happened, but then he kissed me."

"And did you like it?" Mattias asked.

Tobi gave a small smile and blushed lightly. "It was nice," he admitted.

"See? Aren't you glad I told you to go on that date?"

"Yes. Thank you."

Mattias was slightly surprised by how earnest Tobi sounded. "Do you guys have any upcoming plans?"

"Dinner at his house tonight," Tobi replied, his smile widening.

"How long do you need to get ready? Do you need to go?" Mattias teased.

Tobi gave him a scowl with no venom behind it. Tobi found himself feeling very grateful for the fire. From the ordeal, he'd gained a partner and a closer relationship with his brother. You don't notice how lonely you were until you have people, he thought. "The fire was the best thing to happen to me," Tobi mumbled.

Mattias nodded in understanding.

A thought occurred to Tobi. "Has reconstruction on the destroyed part of the church begun? I know you speak to the others more frequently than I do."

Mattias nodded. "It's nearly finished. For now, Father's not allowing anyone in the kitchen or dining room. We should go once it's done so we can see what's changed."

Tobi grimaced slightly and averted his gaze downwards. "Um, yes..."

"Oh!" Mattias exclaimed, his eyes lighting up with an idea. "You could bring Emilio!"

Tobi's heart skipped a beat. "Is that really such a good idea?" he asked.

"Why not? I'm sure he'd like to meet everyone."

"But what about Father? I don't think he'd be pleased with me being queer."

Mattias shrugged. "He'll have to get used to it if you're serious about Emilio."

Tobi considered this for a moment before saying, "Maybe. Once the church is repaired."

"You don't have to tell them he's your boyfriend," Mattias suggested.

"I'll consider it," Tobi promised.

"Great, because I want to meet him. I only got to see him that one time when he asked you out in the hospital parking lot."

Tobi considered the pros and cons of having Emilio meet his family. He had an easier time coming up with negatives, but there was still a large part of him that wanted it. He wanted to see his father's face upon introducing Emilio to him. How would he react? Tobi was stuck in a loop of wanting to cause chaos and wanting to disappear into the background.

He decided it would take further careful consideration.

"I'll think about it."

After spending an hour getting ready (most of it was spent choosing an outfit and trying to get his hair to cooperate), Tobi stood outside Emilio's house, rocking on the balls of his feet as he waited for Emilio to answer the door.

Emilio opened the door a moment later and smiled, placing a kiss to Tobi's lips in greeting. "Come in, I've almost finished cooking dinner," he said, waving to Tobi to follow him.