o n e

Being from a small town means nothing exciting ever happens

Being from a small town means nothing exciting ever happens. Not to me, at least.

The only noteworthy event of my life - that I like to talk about, that is - was my broken elbow when I was sixteen years old. Other than that, I've lived a pretty normal life. I went to a normal school, with normal friends, I went to a normal university and got a normal job. I went on normal holidays with my family post elbow-break and I went on normal holidays with my friends.

And now, as a twenty-two year old teacher I thought my life would be as simple as it always had. Except, this day changed everything.

"Okay, everyone!" I called out to my class, catching the attention of all thirty children as they paused their current task which was finishing up their work from yesterday. They had only been in school for about 20 minutes so they were very excitable. "Please make sure you bring your permission slips to my desk, the trip is in two weeks and I want to make sure I've got the right information," I paused for a moment and watched at least a dozen of them suddenly spring up from their seats and run to their bag.

As a dozen of them rummaged through their bags for their signed permission slips, one of them walked up to my desk with a note of his own.

"Thomas, everything alright?" I gave him a smile and put down my pen, showing him that he had my full attention.

"Miss Ellis, my mum told me to tell you that my uncle is picking me up today. She wrote it down too," he added quickly, passing me the folded piece of paper. I opened it up and quickly read the message that confirmed Thomas' uncle being the adult to receive him at the end of the day.

"Thank you for letting me know," I used some blue tack to stick the note to the side of my computer so I wouldn't forget. "Have you handed in your permission slip, Thomas?"

"Yes miss, my mum gave it to the office!" Thomas gave me a beaming smile as he nodded his head. His classmates had began putting their own slips on my desk in a messy pile.

"Brilliant, why don't you go take a seat since we're going to start our maths in a couple minutes?" Thomas nodded and toddled back to his seat, talking to his friends as he went.

I smiled to myself and shook my head, that little boy was the sweetest thing but boy could he talk for England. The rest of the class had already settled down and the chatter was coming to a close as they naturally recognised the start of the day.

"Right!" I clapped my hands as I stood up from behind my desk. "Who are my register monitors this week?"

The rest of the day went by smoothly - except the drama at lunchtime of three girls fighting over who was the princess and who was the maid in the pretend game they'd created - and it wasn't long until the bell was ringing and I stood at the door for dismissal.

"Danny, your dad is over there. Kylie I see your mums waiting for you. Twins, I can see your grandma over there with your little sister."

I watched them all run off to meet their grownups, double checking they all went to the right adult.