1

❀︎𝐂𝐥𝐞𝐨❀︎

"Three minutes, Cleo. Just three more minutes, and you will be able to go hang with your friends." I whisper to myself as I scrub down the main counter of Big Momma's. "You'll get to surf, get a drink, have a few laughs-"

"Honey, you're really gonna make these people scared of you if you keep talking to yourself." Big Momma laughs as she shakes her head.

"Sorry Big M. Just trying to distract myself." I say before tossing my dirty rag into the bin.

"You're alright dear, just talk a little softer next time." She winks. My timer goes off. I grin and quickly turn it off. I grab my beach bag and start to run out the door. "Bye, Big M!" I scramble out the door. I spot my friends standing off towards the shore line. I spot my friend, Seacat and decide to scare him.

As I sneak up behind Seacat and jump on his back. With a mischievous grin, I shout, "Boo!"

Seacat jumps, and I can't help but laugh at his reaction. "Cleo! You nearly gave me a heart attack!"

Giggles and Rascal join in the laughter, and I feel a rush of relief at finally being with my friends. Seacat spins around before dropping me into the sand, and I giggle as I dust the sand off my shorts.

"Where have you been all morning?" Seacat asks with a playful grin.

"I broke some dishes last night, Momma made me come in and work so I could pay her back," I explain, still smiling.

"Ooo, that does not sound fun," Seacat remarks sympathetically.

"Yeah, especially on this gorgeous day," I agree, looking up at the sky.

Just then, the rest of our surfer friends arrive, and the beach comes alive with the sound of laughter and music. We all start to sing and dance around, letting the rhythm of the waves and the warmth of the sun envelop us in pure joy.

During our spontaneous dance number, a girl accidentally bumped into me, and I quickly apologize.

"I am so sorry!" she says, her voice shaky with surprise.

"It's fine. It was an accident," I reassure her, feeling a bit embarrassed.

"Mack! You alright?" A blond boy rushes up to her, and I silently observe.

"Yes, Brady," she responds, and I note his name. Mack and Brady, must be new around here, I think to myself as I glance between them.

"Are you guys new here?" I inquire, curious about their presence on our beach.

Brady's eyes widen with recognition. "You're Cleo!" he exclaims excitedly, and I can't help but raise an eyebrow in surprise.

"I am! Wow, I had no idea!" I reply sarcastically, amused by his reaction.

"Cleo, come on!" Seacat's voice interrupts, calling me back to my friends. I glance at him, then back at the newcomers.

"See ya, losers," I tease playfully, before darting into Big Momma's with the rest of the surfers, leaving Mack and Brady behind.

As I enter Big Momma's, the familiar smell of salty air and grilled goods envelops me, and I can't help but feel a sense of comfort wash over me. The chatter of customers and the clinking of dishes fill the air as I make my way to our usual table, where Seacat, Giggles, and Rascal are already waiting.

"What took you so long, Cleo?" Seacat teases as I slide into my seat.

"Just ran into a couple of newbies on the beach," I reply nonchalantly, grabbing a menu.

"Newbies, huh?" Giggles raises an eyebrow. "Any trouble?"

"That was awesome!" Brady's voice rings out, drawing the attention of the surfers. They exchange puzzled glances as Brady tries to recover from his slip-up. "I mean... Insane," he stammers, attempting to smooth over his mistake, but it only adds to the awkwardness. "Um... what up, dawg?" Brady awkwardly attempts to salvage the situation, but it falls flat. I smirk and step forward, Seacat by my side.

"Far out. He thinks we're animals," I comment, enjoying the banter.

"No, it's an expression. It means... Actually she's right, it does sound ridiculous," Mack whispers from behind Brady. Seacat clicks his tongue in amusement.

"And where are you cats from?" He asks, curious about the newcomers.

Mack and Brady exchange nervous glances before responding in unison, "We're from, uh... Not far away/Far away." The surfers tilt their heads, clearly puzzled by the response. "Right, not far, but, um... but, far?" Brady stumbles over his words.

"Close... far," Mack adds, equally uncertain.

"Hey, Rascal," Seacat calls out, and Rascal quickly joins us, sensing the tension.

"Yeah, Seacat?" Rascal responds, ready for action.

"It seems we've got some unwanted hodads..." Seacat starts, but Rascal eagerly interrupts.

"Hodads!" he exclaims loudly, causing us all to jump at his sudden outburst.

"That we need to put the kibosh..." Seacat tries to continue, but Rascal interrupts again.

"Kibosh!" he interjects, earning an eye roll from Seacat.

"No, no, you've got it all wrong," Brady interjects frantically, but I cut him off.

"Look, man, we don't jelly..." I start, but Rascal interrupts once more.

"Jelly!" he yells, causing me to glare at him until he backs off.

"Roll to outsiders," I finish, asserting our group's unity. Before the "outsiders" could protest further, the sound of motorcycle engines interrupts us, sending all the surfers except me scrambling back to the waves. But I stay put, intrigued by the unexpected encounter.