5

❀︎𝐂𝐥𝐞𝐨❀︎

As we approached Lela's room, my nerves kicked in, and I couldn't shake the feeling that the other girls might not be thrilled about my presence. Who was I kidding? I was a surfer; of course they wouldn't be thrilled.

"Hello, ladies!" Lela greeted cheerfully as she swung open the door to her bedroom. The girls rushed over to hug her, their excitement palpable. Mack and I exchanged a look of panic, both feeling out of place among Lela's friends.

CheeChee glanced in our direction, her comb poised like a scepter as she pointedly asked Lela, "What are they doing here?"

Lela quickly explained, "Well, Mack said she's never been to a pajama party, and I owed Cleo since she bought our drinks, so I decided to invite them." CheeChee nodded in begrudging acceptance. "Well, come on in, make yourselves at home. I'm gonna go grab some extra pillows and blankets from Butchy's room."

My eyes widened as I realized my blunder. How could I forget that Butchy was Lela's brother? I mentally smacked my forehead, feeling foolish. Mack shot me a confused glance as Lela skipped out of the room.

Struts and CheeChee turned their intimidating stares on me, and I met their gaze defiantly. "What's wrong? Did your hair products get caught in your eyes?" I quipped, trying to deflect their scrutiny. Mack stifled a laugh as the girls continued to glare at me.

"You better not try to pull anything, toots," Struts warned, her tone sharp with suspicion.

I scoffed. "What are you talking about?"

"You're a soifer, obviously we don't trust you. And don't think that just 'cause Lela likes you, all of us will," CheeChee declared, her words dripping with skepticism. I brushed off their distrust, but Mack sat awkwardly beside me as the tension lingered.

Lela returned, throwing pillows my way with a mischievous smirk. "Here's the pillows!" she exclaimed, her amusement evident.

The night wore on, eventually lulling the girls to sleep. The next morning, they awoke early, buzzing with excitement for the day ahead.

"What are you doing?" CheeChee screeched as Struts fussed with her hair.

"I'm trying something new. You always have it the same," Struts replied, a hint of defiance in her voice.

"No," CheeChee retorted firmly, her attention fixed on her nails.

"Come on. Just this once," Struts pleaded.

"Just keep teasing, Struts," CheeChee insisted, undeterred.

"Jiminy jeeps, Chee Chee. How high do you want me to go?" Struts teased, earning a snicker from Cleo.

"Until your ears pop," CheeChee replied, a smirk playing at her lips.

"You better steer clear of ceiling fans," I snicker.

"And this time, make it even. Last time, I kept tipping over," CheeChee instructed, her voice tinged with amusement.

Meanwhile, Lela emerged from her closet, holding up a blue dress. "What do you think?"

"It's beautiful!" Struts and CheeChee chimed in unison, their approval evident.

"Should I wear this to go see Brady? He loves to surf, and the water's blue, and this dress is blue... So the next time he goes surfing, he'll see the blue water, and he'll think of me," Lela smiles, prompting an eye roll from Mack.