Chapter 5

The next 2 weeks of detention went by quickly with Keefe always there. Sophie always asked him how he kept managing to get detentions, and he always replied, "Anything for my Foster," and she'd blush and roll her eyes in return. 

Finally, it was their last detention. Keefe and Sophie were walking to the room together, and they walked through the doors to see Lady Belva arranging the partners for ballroom dancing.

"Perfect, Ms. Foster, Mr. Sencen, you two can be dance partners."

Sophie turned to Keefe and stammered, "I can't really- I'm not good at-"

Keefe grinned, and cut her off with "I've known you for a while now, Foster. I'm aware of your clumsiness."

Sophie blushed as Lady Belva instructed Keefe to put one hand on her waist, and the other holding her hand. They danced around the room, and Sophie blushed furiously whenever she stepped on his toes, or tripped over her own feet. 

"Sorry-" is what she'd always say, and Keefe would just respond with "Don't worry, Foster. It's cute," which just made her blush even more. 

At last, the detention ended, and Sophie exhaled loudly. 

"Heard that, Foster. Personally, I think you've been improving. Have you been practicing?"

Sophie glared at him and replied sarcastically, "Haven't you noticed? I've been sneaking away at night and taking dancing lessons with Lady Belva." 

Keefe smirked at said, "So that's why you only stepped on my feet 30 times."

Sophie shot him a look as she sped ahead of him to Physical Education, and shouted behind her, "I hope your feet hurt!"

Keefe laughed, and rushed to Physical Education along with her, a class in which the whole school attends. 

In P.E, they were assigned to partner up with someone and tried to hit them with splotchers. Sophie partnered with Dex, and Keefe with Fitz. Keefe made sure Fitz and him were next to Sophie and Dex. 

"Hey, Keefe, long time no see?" Sophie arched an eyebrow at him. 

"What?" Dex said, with a confused look on his face. 

"Human saying." Sophie mumbled, but she was still staring at Keefe with suspicion. 

Sophie often took advantage of Keefe's proximity, and she occasionally 'accidentally' missed Dex with the splotcher, and hit Keefe instead. Soon enough, Keefe's hair had 3 colors of paint in it. 

"Hey! No fair! We aren't even partners!" Keefe whined in protest, trying to remove the coloring from his beloved hair. 

"Sorry, Lord Hunkyhair- Or should I say- Lord Splotcherhair?" said Sophie, wiggling her eyebrows. 

"Ha. Good one." Keefe grumbled, eyeing Dex as he laughed. 

Waiting for the right time, Keefe slowly picked up a bright purple splotcher with telekinesis, and hid it behind his back. While Sophie was concentrating on hitting Dex with one of the paintballs, the splotcher shot out from behind Keefe and hit Sophie, right on the side of her blonde head.

"KEEFE!" Sophie shouted, and hurled 3 splotchers at him, and he only dodged one before the the others hit him in the chest.

"Yes, Lady Splotcherhair?"

Marella, who was partnered with Biana, burst with laughter at Sophie's current predicament, and her comeback. Sophie glared.

Sophie began to pick up more of the spheres with her telekinesis, until all of the ones that were recently on the floor, were up in the air, and all were aimed for Keefe. 

Keefe ran behind Fitz, who just grimaced with annoyance, and left Keefe to fend for himself. The victim of the splotchers cowered at all of the brightly colored balls before him, but relaxed when he noticed something behind her, and Sophie wondered why. 

She turned around to see Sir Harding, who cleared his throat, and tapped his foot on the gymnasium floor. 

All the splotchers dropped simultaneously, except for a yellow one, which happened to fall on Keefe's shoulder. 

"Hey!"

Sophie ignored him, and said innocently to Sir Harding, "Hello, Sir Harding. What happens to bring you here?"

Sophie swore she could see a shadow of a smile on his face. He nodded towards the bright purple paint on the side of her head, and said, "I believe Mr. Sencen deserves his present situation, so I will let you off with a warning. Please try not to cause any more disruptions."

"I'll try, Sir Harding. Thank you," Sophie grinned with a sort of sarcastic sweetness, and turned around to Keefe after the Mentor walked away. 

"Mr. Sencen," Sophie said, imitating Sir Harding with her Polyglot abilities, "I trust that you will not cause any more disruptions."

Keefe smirked and got up, trying to seem like he was fine with being covered with highly colored paint. He rubbed off some of the paint from his face, but his eyes started to sting. 

"Ouch, Foster, I got some in my eye!" He said, one eye squeezed tight. 

Sophie's smile faded. She rushed over to him, stammering, "Sorry- Are- are you okay?"

Unfortunately, while she was jogging over, she forgot about the many splotchers littering the floor, and she slid over to him, bumping into him, and she would have knocked them both over if Keefe hadn't caught her first, noticing she had slipped right after he got the paint out of his eye.

Sophie looked up at him, and her breath caught. Her brown eyes gazed up at his ice blue ones, momentarily forgetting the sound around them, and Dex and Fitz awkwardly standing there. Keefe gently reached down and wiped some purple off of her forehead, and she did the same to his cheek.

Suddenly, they both became conscious of people staring at them. Sophie cleared her throat and walked back to where Dex was standing, not looking anywhere but Keefe's eyes, until she tore her gaze away from them long enough to notice Biana grinning goofily at them, and Marella trying not to laugh at Dex and Fitz's awkwardness. 

After Physical Education, Linh gathered the moisture from the air, and dumped large amounts of water on both of them, supposedly to 'wash them off', but all it did was leave Keefe and Sophie soaked, with bright paint running down their faces.