|3| - The Question

|THIRD POV|

Thomas sighed as he sat back against the fallen log, looking at the walls surrounding the Glade. His eyes darting along the walls before he hears a giggle along with the laughter behind him. He turns his head, his gaze turned towards the fire where he saw Emmy roasting a marshmallow. 

"Adorable, isn't she," Newt spoke as he sat down beside him, a jar in his hand.

Thomas glanced up at him before nodding his head, "Yeah she is."

Newt glances at him before sighing and taking a sip of his drink. He stared at the walls as he leaned back against the log. His legs bent as he places his arms on his knees, he glances at Thomas again.

"You want to know why Emmy is here." 

Thomas's eyes widened as he turned to look at Newt, who was studying him closely. Thomas then nodded his head.

"I mean, she's the only girl but she's even younger than Chuck-"

"She wasn't sent up here Thomas."

Thomas fell silent as he continued to stare at Newt, confusion and more questions riddling his brain. 

"Then how come she's in the Glade?" Thomas asked.

Newt sighed, looking down at his jar before he turned and looked over his shoulder. His brown eyes focused on the brown-eyed girl that was talking enthusiastically to Minho.

"She was born here in the Glade," Newt answered, causing Thomas to pause.

"But then, there would have to be"

"Her name was YN, and she's Emmy's mother." Newt interrupted, turning back to Thomas who fell silent. "She was the first person to arrive in the Glade. Far before Alby ever arrived."

{YOUR POV}

"Mary, he is not a piece of meat so stop drooling over him. Same for the rest of you as well." I hear Rachel say as she passes my table. 

I click my tongue and send a glance at Sonya who was beside Aris. Sonya sent a glare to Mary as Rachel sat on the other side of Aris. Lucy beside me stifled a giggle as Mary looks down at her bowl as Harriet glares at her too.

"So, YN." Sophie swooped down beside me, her back against the table as she looks at me. "How do you plan on getting all of us out of this maze?"

Everyone falls silent, and all eyes fall on me. Aris stares at me and I sigh before placing my spoon in my bowl.

"I plan on getting us all out through the maze," I answer, looking her dead in the eyes.

"But how exactly? As far as I know, from snooping around, the maze doesn't have an exit." She furrowed her brows, yet raised one at the same time.

"There is one, and I know where they are. The other details, you don't really need to know."

She stares at me before opening her mouth again.

"Shut it, Sophie, you heard her. You don't need to know the details. Now go back and eat your food or get sent to the pit." Harriet said from behind her.

Sophie sighs and stands up, heading back to her table. I nod thankfully towards Harriet who nods back as she sits down beside me.

"We should know how we're going to get out! And how come she gets to do all this while we had to work our asses off to get where we were? She just struts on in and everyone answers to her now? No-"

"Mary, sit your ass back down before I knock you down myself." I glare at her past Rachel's shoulder.

Mary scoffs and walks around her table, glaring down at me as I move to stand up.

"You couldn't do that if you tried."

I spare a glance at Harriet as I round my table to be in front of her, but then I remember that I didn't exactly follow Harriet's orders. I smirk as I look into Mary's blue eyes and crack my knuckles.

"What," She scoffs again, motioning to my hands. "Is that suppose to scare me-"

Without warning, I push my fist into her face with a satisfying smack. She stumbles back, tripping over her own two feet. As she lands on her ass, I step towards her, leaning over her.

"You forget Mary, I lived in a maze full of boys for over 3 years. And I've been a runner for over 5 years." She looked up at me, her hand covering her cheek as her eyes shimmered with tears and shock along with fear. 

Crouching down in front of her, I smirk and glare down at her. "Don't pretend to have authority when you don't, and don't stand in my way when I'm trying to get us all out alive. Got it?"

She shakily nods her head and I nod my head before standing up. I look at the other Sticks of the Field and sigh. I walk out of the kitchen without another word. The silence behind me was broken as the sounds of steps following me. I didn't have to turn around to know that it was Lucy.

"So can you at least tell me?"

As she walks by my side to homestead, I sigh, her eyes shimmering with wonder as she looks at me.

"Lucy. I have to go into the maze, and stay there after the doors close." I state truthfully after we were far enough from the kitchen. "The Grievers only come out at night, so I need to be there to kill it and get the key from inside it."

"Are you trying to kill yourself!" She suddenly yelled, making me nearly jump out of my own skin.

"No I'm trying to get us free you shank!" I yell back.

"YN, you just said you were going to stay in the maze after dark! No one survives that!"

"But I did. Twice."

"The last time you did it you nearly died! And WICKED saved you!"

"They didn't save me, Lucy, my brother did! Lucy I know I can do it, I have to do it. I have to get back to them, Lucy, and this is my only shot." I stare at her as she stares back at me.

"Then let me come with you-"

"NO! I'm not risking anyone's life for this. We all are getting out, together." 

She stares at me, her eyes soft and filled with worry. 

"But how are you going to see them if you don't make it." She whispers.

I smile sadly at her and shake my head. "I will make it Lucy. Trust me on this. I'm going to see them again, or I'm going to tear WICKED apart trying to."