Welcome Home!

It's a 2 hour flight and I'm so happy once my feet hit the ground. I've never been a fan of flying but since my crappy 96' Chevy Impala just gave out on me, I didn't have much of a choice. I make my way to the front entrance and pull out my phone to call a taxi. Right when I hit dial I feel something slam into the side of me and it knocks me off my feet. I land on top of one of my duffel bags and the second one smacks me right in my knee.

I lay for a second with my eyes closed and when they open a man is standing overtop of me on his phone. He's about middle aged, probably forty five to fifty. The gray is starting to come in but it mixes well with his black hair. "Are you okay? I'm so sorry. If I don't hurry I'm going to miss my flight." He says. I nod "go ahead I got it." I respond as I lift myself off the floor. I gather my belonging and step outside to call my taxi. Men are such assholes.

We pull onto the road around five o clock in the evening. The house is off the road about a half acre. Once we pull up, I realize how beautiful it is. My dad had sent me pictures but they definitely don't do this house justice. I thank the cab driver and pay him his fare. I turn and look at my new home. It definitely needs work. The garden is full of weeds and the paint is peeling off the porch. The grass looks like it hasn't been cut in quite a few months. It's a lot of little things, but the house itself looks in really good shape. It's white and has two stories. It could use a power wash but there's a lot of potential in this home.

I walk to the front door and find the key my dad said would be under the mat. I put it in the door and take a deep breathe before I turn the knob. As soon as I push the door open, the smell of dust and old people makes me sneeze. I take a look around. As soon as I walk through the door I'm in the living room, my living room. There's metal stairs to my left that go up in a spiral to the second floor. Above me there's an awning and windows on the roof, letting the sunlight beam into the house. To my right there's huge windows overlooking the mountain.
Oh.
My.
God.
That view. I set my bags down at the door and make my way through the living room to the windows. I've never seen anything like this, it's just so beautiful. The sky has pinks and blues and red. The trees look like they go on for miles and the mountain wraps around them. I take in the view for a moment then head into the kitchen. It's massive. There's an island in the middle of the floor and black and grey backsplash behind the counters. I can't believe I'm about to live here. This is beyond anywhere I've ever lived. It definitely beats the one bedroom apartment in Atlanta.

I grab my bags and make my way to the second floor. The awning is beautiful, there's a bookshelf made into the wall. I can definitely fill that up, I'm obsessed with books. This is the perfect place to read and relax. I can already picture what I'm going to do up here. A chair by the window, overlooking the mountains and sky while I drift off into my book world.

I find the master bedroom down the hallway. I open the wooden door and look around. The walls need to be painted but it's a really big room. I sit my bags on my grandmas old canopy bed and look around. There's pictures on her dresser. There's one of me and my sister, another one is of me, my sister and my parents. There's a few more people I remember, my aunt Judy and her family and a few pictures of my grandpa. The rest are unrecognizable.

The closet is huge, it's a walk in closet and still has a couple of my grandmas things. People were in and out of here for months rummaging through her things to see what they could inherit. There's still a lot that was left behind, though. I'll just have to set a day where I can go through everything and see what's worth keeping. My mom said she would come help me, she just needs to find time off from the hospital. She's a RN at a well known hospital back home in South Dakota. She works a lot of twelve hour shifts. So, it's hard for her to ever find time for herself.

There's a master bathroom connected to my room. It has a standing shower that takes up one whole wall, it's pretty spacey. I spend the next hour walking through the house and going through some things in the kitchen. I have come to the conclusion that I own a three bedroom, two and a half bath house. There's a lot of pots and pans, kitchen utensils and hand towels left over. The will definitely come in handy. I decide to make two piles, one for things I'm keeping and then a trash pile.

I get the majority of the kitchen done and throw all the trash in a trash bag. I go outside to throw it away and I feel my stomach rumble. Food. I haven't eaten since breakfast this morning and it's going on nine o clock at night. I'm not sure why I didn't think about grocery shopping to pick up a few things before I came out here.

I look out over the mountain and the view can't get any better. The sky is the darkest shade of black I have ever seen with lights from the stars covering the entire sky. I have never seen so many stars in my life. I head back in and find a jar of Spaghetti Os in the cabinet. I check the expiration date, still three more months until it expires, thanks grandma. I heat it up and go sit on a sofa in the living room. I think about all the plans I have for this house. I've only ever rented the places I lived, I've never had somewhere to call my own. This is a completely different feeling, I can do whatever I want to this house. I don't have to worry about anyone bitching me out over late night music or hanging pictures on my wall. I don't have to worry about evictions or pissing anyone off. I feel a sense of freedom I haven't had before and it's seriously amazing.

When I'm finished with my food, I jump in the shower and throw on my pajamas. I decide to sleep on the couch tonight. I just think it'll be creepy sleeping in my long lost dead grandmothers bed. I grab my blanket and pillow and set up my spot on the couch. I lay down and read until I drift off to sleep.