Shooting Stars and Racing Hearts

Dinner was amazing. Not much was said during dinner but I decided to stay outside and watch the stars. I'm currently laid out on my blanket admiring the blackness above me.

Ryan refused to leave, even though I told him I could handle myself he stated that "even though the chances are rare, you never know what's out here." So he's been sitting on the edge of my blanket for the past 30 minutes. I decide to strike up conversation to get to know him a little better.

"So, what exactly do you do for my dad?"

"I schedule his meetings with potential clients. And if there's anyone that I can help without having to go through your father, he lets me handle their case."

I know he has to be making a decent amount of money working for my dad. My father offered me a position right after my parents separation, but I was so mad at him at that point I impolitely declined. More like told him he can take his money and shove it where the sun don't shine. I knew it was just a way to try and brainwash me and turn me against my mother.

I glance in Ryan's direction and see him waiting for my response "That's pretty cool." I say "I work at a title company but they're letting me go since I moved out here. I have enough in my savings account to last for a little bit. I'm just not sure what I'm looking for out here yet." He nods his head like he's agreeing with me.

"Sounds like that company sucks." He says with a chuckle. I completely agree. They suck.

I nod in agreement and look up at the stars. This is definitely not something you'd see in Atlanta. There were so many lights there I was lucky if I got to see one star. I had no idea there were this many stars in the sky. I continue to look above me until I see a star shoot straight across the sky. It happens so fast I would've missed it if I blinked.

I jump up and look over at Ryan. "Did you see that?! I've never seen one before!" I jump on my feet and look back up at the sky. It was so bright and so beautiful. I'm practically jumping up and down at this point and Ryan is looking at me with a smirk on his face.

I look over at him and put my hands on my hips. "What?" I ask, slightly embarrassed for my sudden reaction. He shakes his head and joins me on my feet. "Nothing. You just haven't seen enough apparently" He says without taking his eyes off me. His words cause me to pause. He takes a step forward. He's so close I can feel his the warmth of his breathe in the air. He's so much taller than I am, I practically have to look all the way up to see him. He's just staring at me. His eyes are burning a hole through me. "You have to make a wish." He says still looking at me. It takes me a moment and then it hits me, people do wish on shooting stars. I close my eyes and think for a moment. I wish for the best life here in Tennessee. Corny, but I don't care. That's what I need right now, just some happiness. I open my eyes and Ryan is smiling down at me. His smile makes my stomach do flip flops.

I stare back at him for what seems like ages. Almost like he's waiting on a response or a reaction, but in all honesty I don't have one. I just stare at him until he breaks the silence.

"I'm about ready to hit the bed. I have to work tomorrow. Your dad only gave me a couple days off." He says like he snapped out of a trance. Like the person who was just smiling at me no longer existed.

I nod at him, not sure how to react, and grab my blanket. I take one last look at the sky before heading up the steps and through the back door. After locking it, I look over at Ryan who is now standing by the hallway towards his room.

"Goodnight Sydney." He then turns around and heads towards his room. His demeanor suddenly turned so cold. I hear his door shut and I take a deep breathe. I head towards my room and start getting ready for bed but my mind is so jumbled. What the hell was that? I get dressed and lay down. I don't know how I lose all senses when he looks at me. I don't know why I can't breathe, I don't know why my heart picks up speed. It's almost annoying. Almost.

***

It's been a week since I saw my first shooting star. Ive seen a couple since then, they're actually pretty easy to spot here as long as you have the patience. Ryan's been pretty distant lately. Tonight is the first night he's really hung out outside his room in a week. Hes made dinner almost every night. He missed one night, but made sure he told me about the leftovers he stored in the fridge. He hasn't said much to me. We're currently watching the all famous horror film, Halloween. Well, I'm watching it. Ryan's making spaghetti for dinner, of course. I'm so glad he likes to cook because I totally suck at it.

Michael Myers just freaks me out. I didn't chose the movie, Ryan did. I just didn't wanna seem like a baby and say no.

I know a bad part is coming up because of the music. I don't think the movie would be so bad if it didn't have this awful music. It makes the scary parts that much worse. I watch helplessly as the actress cautiously opens the door and BAM, there he is. I jump and spill my popcorn. Ryan starts laughing at my reaction. I glare at him and start picking up my popcorn.

"Don't like scary movies, huh?" He asks as I continue to pick up crumbs off my shirt. Without stopping I respond. "They're not my favorite."

"Why didn't you tell me before I started the movie?" I don't want to be completely honest so I just half ass it. "I thought I'd be okay. Maybe being in this house is starting to get to me."

"I wouldn't let anything happen to you, Syd." His words cause my heart to pickup speed. It was such an innocent comment. I don't understand how his words keep affecting me like this. Maybe it's best if he does keep his mouth shut. I really do believe him. He's definitely hot, no doubt. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about running my hands through his hair on more than one occasion. I just don't want to get mixed up with anyone associated with my dad. His man bun is very tempting though.

I feel my cheeks getting hot so I try to focus my attention back to the movie but Ryan makes his way into the living room and grabs the remote. He turns it back to the Home Screen on Netflix and hands me the remote. "Pick something to watch." And with that he heads back into the kitchen to finish dinner.

I find a a new release about a kidnapping so I hit play. There's something about thriller movies I've always been drawn to. I try to focus on the movie but the interaction Ryan and I just had is taking a toll on me. Before I know it dinners done. Ryan brings me a bowl and takes a seat on the opposing sofa. We sit in silence for the first half of dinner. I'm taking a big bite of my breadstick when Ryan looks up at me. "You know I don't have to stay here. I can get a hotel, I don't want to be a burden. The only reason I came is because I thought you were okay with it."

I almost choke on my food. I grab my napkin and wipe my mouth. I swallow my food and glance back at him. He's clearly waiting on my response. "You don't have to leave." I say. I'm just now getting use to actually having human interaction again. I never thought it'd be so lonely in the mountains but there's really nothing going on around here to meet people. Does he want to leave? Does he feel like he has to stay? I'd really have to find a job if he leaves. Just a few days alone drove me crazy.

"I mean unless you want to. You're not bothering me though. I hate cooking so I've gotten pretty use to having you slave in the kitchen." I smirk at him and look back down at my food. I can feel his smile.

Once the movies over I decide to call it a night. I grab the blanket I was laying with and throw it on the back of the couch. I grab my empty glass that previously contained water and dump in in the kitchen sink.

"I'm hitting the sheets. I'll lock the front door. Thank you for dinner."

"Anytime." He says with a smile. I return his smile and turn around to walk to my room. Just when I get to the staircase I hear him holler my name. I glance over and he's standing about ten feet away with a sincere look on his face. "Yeah?" I respond.

"Thank you for letting me stay here. I know it came as a surprise and if the tables were turned I'm not sure I would've been so welcoming. So, thank you. For not kicking my ass when I walked through the door." His words make me smile. "Thank you." I say "it was starting to get a little boring around here. So I'm kinda glad you showed up."

And with that I continued to my room and shut the door. I put my back to it and look up at the ceiling. What the hell what that? My heart is pounding through my chest. I sound like a hyena trying to catch my breathe. I shut my eyes and creep my way to the floor until my bottom is between the crease of the floor and the door behind me. Once my heart rate slows down I find the energy dressed and lay down in my bed. Guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.