decent-level barista

Kuboyasu Aren is a smart guy. Sure, his grades can use some work, but he knows a thing or two about many other things.

Drawing? He can do that. Fixing a motorcycle? Easy. Defending yourself against bullies who try to shake you down for money? Child's play! Kuboyasu is great at a ton of things.

However, making new friends is not one of them.

He never understood why he was so intimidating to others. He doesn't look that scary, does he? Maybe it was his posture. Or maybe it's his hair? Maybe he should change his appearance?

No, he can't back down now. This is a fresh start, a new beginning. He can make new friends and finally find his soulmate.

He sits at the table in the kitchen, picking at his food with a silver spoon. His gaze shifts from the wooden table to the picture that sits on the shelf of their living room. The frame surrounds the picture of Aren as a tiny baby, with his father and mother cradling him. His father's arm is encircled around his mother's waist, while his other arm is holding Aren. Unlike his normal tough demeanor, he has a grin on his face as he stares at his mom lovingly.

The corners of Kuboyasu's mouth quirk up a bit at the picture. It has been a while since they have been all together. His parents were busy most days. His father stayed at the motorcycle shop doing repairs while his mom went on business trips. This, of course, resulted in Aren being alone when he gets home, but he doesn't mind. This means fewer chores and more alone time. Still, he wonders when they can all be free from life and just be together once in a while.

His watch shrieks from his wrist, signaling that it's time to head out. Aren jumps up, shoves the remains of his food into his mouth, and gets ready to head to school.

~✩~

Kaidou Shun has no clue how he got this job.

He owes it to Saiki and Mera. After all, it was them who convinced his boss to give him the job. They were low on staff and the cafe needed more people to come in.

They also noticed how Kaidou improved. He went from a klutz who put metal in the microwave to a decent-level barista (Saiki said decent; he still made many mistakes, like when he replaced the sugar containers with salt).

"Kaidou! Can you restock the sugar? We're all out!" Mera shouts from the cash register.

"Yeah, I got it!" Kaidou replied, and dashed to the back to fetch the sugar. He pushed the door with his back and grabbed the containers that needed to be filled.

"Are you excited for your soulmate playlist, Kaidou?" Mera asked, whisking some whipped cream in her arms.

"Yeah, I can't wait," Kaidou responded, grabbing the strawberries from the fridge, "Whoever gets me as a soulmate is prepared to face the blinding power of Jet Black Wings!" He sprinkled the strawberries on a pastry, snickering to himself.

"Whoever gets you as a soulmate needs to run the other direction," Saiki mutters as he munches on a pastry.

"I heard that you know," the blue-haired boy retorts.

Mera giggles at the boys' banter. "Well, I think anyone who has you as a soulmate is a lucky person, Kaidou."

Kaidou beams at that comment, and his face showed how excited he was. However, inside his mind, Kaidou was losing it.

'But what if they do hate me? What if they see me and walk in the other direction? What if my soulmate dies? What if-'

A mind-reader would thank whoever stopped the ramble in his mind. The door to the cafe opened as the bell attached rang softly.

"Kaidou, can you get that? I need to frost these," Saiki asks, preparing the tools. Kaidou nods and heads over to greet the customer.

"Hello, welcome to the Craft Cafe! Where would you like to-" Kaidou greets, but his breath stops as he stares at the newcomer.

A guy with black-framed glasses and a black bucket hat entered the cafe, gazing around the shop. He had a colorful jacket on with gray baggy pants. Kaidou notices the black fingerless gloves that were wrapped around his hands. He also noticed the strands of plum-colored hair that fell in from of his face.

Kaidou stared at this guy with total awe. He has no idea what is happening. Why is he so scared? Is fear what he's feeling? When is it so hot in here? Did Saiki turn the thermostat up again? If he did, he swears he gonna-

"Hey," the customer's deep voice waves through the air, and Kaidou feels himself shrink, "Is this place open?"

Shit.