Chapter 10

Getting ready had made Reader and Laura flushed and giddy. They'd decided earlier, after Reader's stage practice had ended that they were going to make a real effort for tonight's concert. They'd be standing in the VIP area and although it was roped off and slightly lower than the general pit of audience, there was still a high chance that Reader would be seen. Hers and even Laura's face were generally known now to hardcore fans so she needed to be careful about any public appearances. Everyone would have phones, there would be pictures.

Aside from not wanting to be caught out, the girls were excited to get dressed up. Reader had been living in whatever she was presented with but this was almost always training clothes. Her loungewear was very expensive but it was still loungewear.

Laura appealed to the styling manager who was able to arrange for the girls to wear outfits which had been planned for other events in the tour. Sitting in front of the wall mirrors in a rehearsal space, with their makeup laid out around them they felt like they were at school again. As usual, the green rooms were stocked with food and drink and they swiped a couple of beers and listened to music while they dressed.

Laura, who wore a pleated gold skirt and military leotard, helped Reader fix her hair in a high ponytail. With bobby pins sticking out of her mouth, she murmured along to the song lyrics which only she could understand because they were in Korean. Reader, still in her sweats, fiddled with her eyeshadow.

"The last time they made me up, I looked almost Asian. But we look very English today." She said with interest.

"Good." Replied Laura, her teeth in place holding the pins. "We are."

"I know. I just want to look nice."

Laura raised her eyebrows at her in the mirror. "That wouldn't have anything to do with a certain sleeping partner I saw you with this morning."

Reader's stomach flipped over and she blushed. "No, of course not. I just want to look nice for me."

"He found me in the hallway you know, when we first got in and I went to the loo. Asked me straight away where you were. Didn't ask how I was or if the journey had been okay. Just got your location and then shot off." Laura mat Reader's eye in the mirror, offering a small cheeky smile.

Reader stayed silent. There was nothing that she could say here without getting herself into more hot water. To admit that she was having thoughts and feelings about him would be embarrassing and to add any fuel to the idea that he was noticing her would be absurd.

Since it had only been a few hours since Reader had probed Laura about Jin and since neither of them seemed willing or able to talk about their feelings right then, they let the conversation stop there.

"Right, you're perfect. Even if you do look 'English'. Now, go get dressed." Ordered Laura turning to her own hair.

The beers were going to her head a little by the time Reader and Laura made their way, escorted and sporting lanyards to the VIP area.

"This damn dress keeps catching on everything!" grumbled Reader. She was wearing a blue sequined, long sleeved mini dress with black tights and heals. She tugged at it anxiously but it clung to her stomach and her butt which it barely covered.

"Who cares, you look like a goddamn super model!" called Laura over the noisy crowd.

Reader looked back, all around here. One or two of the very close, eagle-eyed fans were already pointing and waving at her. She smiled and waved back. One of the crowd control officers stood in front of her to break the connection and presumably to keep her safe in case anyone tried to surge forward.