12~expected

"Wake up. Hey son. We need to go into the hospital," Semi's father said, poking his son awake

"Dad? What's going on?" Semi said, disorientated as he woke up. Couldn't he just have a normal morning?

"Get changed, we need to go to the hospital," he said, his voice sounding tired "Please just get dressed" he said leaving the rom.

Semi had a good idea that he knew what was about to happen.

The drive to the hospital felt uncomfortably quiet, as Semi's dad never knew how to inititae conversation and Semi felt too tense to turn the radio on. So they rode in silence, the occasional curse from Semi's dad's road rage breaking the quietude. 

As they arrived, Semi felt something worse than dread fill him up.

What's the word for when you're waiting to hear a painful truth that's been eating at you for so long?

"Are you Mr. Semi? And you must be Eita. Please, take a seat. I'm sorry, but Ms. Semi passed away in her sleep last night. There was no pulse when we went for a checkup. She made it further than anyone with her situation, a true fighter. She went in peace. I'm so sorry for your loss....

She started talking about paperwork and legalities but Semi just zoned out. He felt the pain deep inside of him, as involuntary tears started to form. He knew it would happen. It didn't feel sudden. He was well aware she was on borrowed time.

He just wished he could borrow a little more. Was that too much to ask? His father pulled him into a hug, and Semi didn't resist. Instead, he let himself go flaccid, his father supporting his entire weight as he collapsed against him. 

"I'm sorry, son." his father said. What else could he have said that would have made sense?

Semi exhaled, pulling away from the hug and calling Tendou and Reon. He explained the situation, knowing he needed them right now. 

They came shortly after, and ran up to Semi who was tapping his foot while he held his head in his hands. 

"I'm sorry, SemiSemi," Tendou said, holding his friend

"Are you...Are you having a funeral for her?" Reon asked

"Yeah, but something simple. We'll probably bury her next to my grandmother, " Semi said, sniffling

"Whatever you need, we're here. Always" Reon said, pulling the other two into a huddle.

***

It had been a week since his mother's passing. Semi had been getting better, finding it easier to leave his house and find motivation again, thanks to his friends and the support he was getting. He'd never thought this much pain in his life could help him find himself getting close to others when he found that sometimes it pushed him away from himself. 

When Semi told Shirabu, it looked like he wanted to make a joke about joining her soon. But he reread the situation made sure he didn't. 

Instead, Shirabu did his best to distract Semi, talking about anything and everything to take his mind off of everything. Semi found himself getting lighter, and smiling more and more, while Shirabu absorbed the angst. It was bittersweet.

He had finally gotten Semi to give him genuine smiles and yet, wouldn't be able to stick around long enough to enjoy them. 

Shirabu had been getting more visits, mostly from people he didn't know, and from girls he had never talked to. Word had gotten around about his illness and so people were doing whatever they could to feel involved in the situation, so he told reception to not allow any visitors.