Thinking out loud

Throughout the next year, Mac and her mom made everything possible so Rosie would settle down in New York. They managed to sell the London house and her father's part of the company. Rosie brought the last of their stuff to the States four months later George's passing. Harry was a year and 4 months old.

Mac was beyond glad her mom had moved to the city, her help had been essential and gigantic. Raising a kid did take a village, even if you worked on a family-friendly, kind of part time job.

Rosie would play with her grandson the entire day. She would also help MacKenzie by cooking and doing some laundering, since she knew her daughter wasn't  the typical housewife. Rosie loved helping out. First, because it was on her motherly instincts, but more importantly, it helped distract her from George's absence. 

Luckily, Harry was the joy of the house. He had been walking up and down the apartment. Taking long walks at the park with Grandma Rosie and saying a lot of "mama"s to get Mac's attention. He was a smart little boy, as he should. MacKenzie wouldn't expect any less from a kid with hers and Will's genes. 

Damn it, Billy. Everyday she would look herself at the mirror before going to work and she'd try to convince herself that that was the day she was going to march down to ACN, get in Will's office and tell him with a straight face: "We have a kid together. When you left I was pregnant and didn't have the balls to tell you, so he's almost 2 now". And wouldn't leave until he was done yelling. 

But, yeah, she never came to do so.

Part of her didn't know how she would ever find the courage to tell Will the truth. But the other part of her couldn't figure out how life would be without Will if she never told him. 

Sometimes she would sit on the couch, look at nowhere and try to understand that feeling of belonging to Will. Mac knew, somehow, they were meant to meet again, be on each other's routines again, because there was no way their story had ended like that. There was still so much love...

Every other day, although, she was certain that there was nothing she could do that would make Will forgive and love her again. Those were the majority of days. So that courage to march down to his office would never actually turn up on her. 

But Mac didn't see coming what Charlie had been planning. 

___

"Mac, I think you should come here to see this!" Rosie yelled from the living room and Mac, that was getting ready to take a shower, walked to where her mom was.

"What is it?" The oldest didn't say a thing. Instead, she pointed to where Harry was.

He was sitting really close to the TV, watching it. Paying close attention to Will's face on it.

MacKenzie's body froze up. Her eyes widened looking at that scene. 

Will was babbling something about firefighters who had saved dogs and Harry seemed to enjoy listening to his voice.

She didn't know how to feel. Actually, she didn't know why that freaked her out so much. But somehow, seeing Harry sympathizing with his father, without even knowing him, warmed her heart at the same time that made her mind spin. 

Rosie was staring at her frozen figure trying to understand what she should do. She had no idea it would make MacKenzie so upset seeing Harry enjoying News Night.

Particularly because, when asked, her daughter would always said "Will is gone, okay? Nothing in here for him anymore", while pointing to her heart. Of course Rosie didn't believe any word of that or any other "I'm over him" speeches. But her reaction was something else. She couldn't see that coming.