Chapter 29

Lauren's POV

"GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY FACE!" I heard Zayn scream as we practically tripped over one another to get to them. And when we did, I almost instantly broke down. There was Liam, in all of his glory, pinning Zayn against the wall by the collar of his shirt. Zayn had a bloody nose that was gushing, and his lip was swollen. His eye would positively be black by the morning. Liam had a bruise on his cheek, and his shirt was ripped. If you compared them, Zayn looked so much worse.

"I warned you. I fucking told you before this. And you-" I guess the loud sob that escaped my mouth caught his attention before he could finish. Liam didn't let Zayn go though, as he was pinned helpless to the wall. Both of their chests were heaving up and down, and Liam looked completely guilty. Zayn didn't look like he was in pain, he looked down right pissed off. I couldn't bare to see Zayn helpless any longer.

"Let him go." I softly demanded.

"Lauren I-"

"I said, let. him. go." I spat, crossing over him. He let out a heavy sigh, but dropped Zayn, and backed away. He had him hanging about five feet off of the ground, so when he hit the floor he landed with a thud, and immediately slid down against the wall to a sitting position.

"Lauren it isn't what it looks like." Liam pleaded, reaching his arms out for me. I saw they were covered in blood. Zayn's blood. I almost began to cry again, but I fought the urge. I swatted his arms away from me, and looked back at the three boys who seemed just as dumb founded as I felt. I made a bee-line for Zayn, and dropped onto my knees infront of him. I hated the thought of someone ruining Zayn's perfect face. He looked up at me, his auric eyes nearly filled with tears. He had managed to get his nose to stop bleeding, but it was very swollen. His lip was split directly down the middle, and his eye was already turning a light shade of purplish- blue.

"Oh my god." I blubbered, gently running my fingers over his eye. He flinched, but didn't say anything. I could hear the boys quietly talking to Liam behind me.

"Zayn, I'm so sorry." My lip trembled, as my fingers moved to trace over his busted lip.

"I started it." Zayn mumbled, looking at me. He sighed afterwards, and reached a hand out to tuck a few stray pieces of hair behind my ear.

"Everything hurts."

"This is all my fault. I never should've came to you. This-"

"Stop." Zayn cut me off. "Do not do this. Don't blame yourself. This isn't your fault. This is mine. I shoved him first." I dragged my hand down my face, and slightly looked behind me to see Liam carefully watching me, along with the boys.

"That doesn't mean you aren't my best friend, and I don't care about you." I softly spoke as if he was fragile. I somewhat think Zayn was breakable at this point. Zayn Malik was always smiling, and he was always positive. He was compassionate about just about everything. Zayn was always put together, and never showed sign of weakness. So this crying, beaten, and slightly angry man infront of me wasn't the Zayn I cared so deeply for.

"I love you." Zayn whispered to me. I knew Liam had heard him, because I heard his sharp intake of breath. But he remained silent. They all did.

That was when the tears broke free. The tears for the sad, lovesick boy infont of me. I had hurt him, and I felt like shit for it. I cried for him, because I didn't want him to cry. Deep down, I felt something more than friendship for Zayn, but what I felt for Liam was no match for it. I could tell this was Zayn's final attempt. He was finished trying to force me into loving him, and he was finished loving someone that didn't deserve it. In a way, I was glad. I wanted everything to go back to normal. I wanted Liam and I to be okay, I wanted to spend time with Ky, and I wanted Zayn to be my best friend again.

"I know you do." I cried, crushing him in a hug. He always gave the best hugs. The kind where he enveloped me in his arms, and buried his face in my neck.

I completely and utterly felt like a total bastard. I dangled Zayn around, just like other people had done to me. I felt terrible. I had used him just the way people used me. I was a total fucking hypocrite.