[29] the bomb.com

┌─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐
chapter twenty-nine!
THE BOMB.COM
└─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┘

( galvanize, pt

( galvanize, pt. i )

+ trigger warning: mentions of antisemitism

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

THE DAY BEFORE Halloween is known as Mischief Night— a time for pranks and chaos during which everyone keeps looking over their shoulders in the event of a potential attack. It's a Monday, but the usual beginning-of-the-week fatigue and sluggishness are absent from the school's campus. As soon as Vera pulls her bike up to one of the front spots of the parking lot and removes her helmet, she notices toilet paper strewn across the stone sign on the lawn reading BEACON HILLS HIGH SCHOOL, EST. 1941.

Last year, some kid's motorcycle had been stolen and replaced with a tricycle. Vera takes a sign out of her backpack and hangs the string around the handlebars so the laminated paper rests on her seat. She'd written in bold, black Sharpie, TOUCH MY BIKE AND I'LL KICK YOUR ASS as a precaution against potential thieves.

She senses a pair of eyes on her and turns to see the twins, Aiden and Ethan, staring at her with unreadable expressions from beside their own motorcycles. Vera finds their gazes unsettling. She hasn't spoken to them in months — they'd disappeared for weeks after Deucalion had been chased out of town, and after they'd helped Scott give in to his Alpha powers and turn Malia back into a human, she hadn't seen much of them around school.

Their faces set her on edge. Scott had received another note from his Good Samaritan informing him that the twins are trying to get into his pack. She doesn't know if it's the anticipation of pranks that has her on-edge or the remaining anger from Erica and Boyd, but something twists her face into a snarl and makes her take a step forward to confront them.

The sound of a revving engine stops her in place. Scott pulls his dirt bike up to the spot next to her, pointedly placing himself between her and the twins. When he takes off his helmet, he's already giving her a warning expression. She makes a vague gesture toward them as a signal that their existence is bothering her and she wants to do something about it. However, Scott's face turns sterner, and that stupid, new bond between them has her backing down. But not before giving them a glare that could cut diamonds.

As soon as she walks into school, Vera is met with a roll of paper towel to the face. She quickly catches it before it can fall to the ground and chucks it in some vague direction before continuing on her way. The halls are swarming with kids throwing papers everywhere and chasing each other, which is way more energy than anyone should have before eight in the morning, in her opinion.