Arrive

July 3

         Today is the day! I never thought it would come. The crew and I are going up to space! After years of training at Mira HQ, we'll finally be able to actually go on the Skeld. If all goes as planned, we'll travel on that ship to the planet Polus where we will do research on possible life forms that might exist there. I can't wait!
         I don't know most of the people who will be there. I went to school with Blaza and Socks, who have known each other since elementary school. And I met Laff, who will be helping to run the ship along with Socks, but most of the others are-

Meme stopped writing abruptly. Footsteps sounded on the staircase and the sound of a door being shut startled him.

Socks came early? Wait, why is he in here? Does he have a key?

Without questioning it further Meme slammed his diary-er, journal shut and stuffed it under the pillow. I don't need one more thing for him to tease me about.

Ever since Blaza, a mutual friend, introduced the two to each other, they argued almost nonstop which drove their friend crazy. "Why can't you get along?" He would say. "You two have so much in common if you would just try to get to know each other."

Yeah. Right. Meme having something in common with Socks. The only thing they seemed to share was a strong desire to annoy one another, which meant constant teasing and sharp retorts.

Besides, Socks seemed determined to hate him since the day they met. How could a start like that spring into a friendship?

As if the thought summoned him, Socks entered Meme's room. He quickly pretended to have been scrolling through his phone and double-checked to make sure his journal was hidden. It was, so he turned to face Socks.

"How are you even in here?" He said sharply.

"I had a key." Socks replied nonchalantly. He sat down in a chair by the door as if it were his house, a wide grin plastered across his face. As hilarious as it was, Meme would have much liked to rip it right off his face.

With a sigh, Meme put two and two together. "I guess Blaza let you borrow his? I know I'd never give you a key," he said, eyes narrowed.

"Relax, Memegod."

"Stop calling me that."

"What? It's your name."

"I know. I just... don't like it."

Socks rolled his eyes. "Well, Meme, It's time to get to Mira. The Skeld is taking off soon and they want everyone there."

Now? Suddenly all his doubts from earlier resurfaced. What if the crew doesn't like me? What if it's not as great as I thought it would be? What if-

He didn't have more time to worry, because Socks was already out the door. Meme huffed in frustration and followed him to his car, but not before stuffing his journal into a bag.

They all agreed that it would be easier to carpool, so they would stop at Blaza's to get him before heading to Mira. Of course it would be faster that way, but it also meant having to spend more time with Socks. Great.

As Meme jumped in the passenger seat of the car and swung his bag into the back he immediately reached to turn on some music only to have his hand slapped away by Socks.

"Hey! That hurt!" He complained, pulling his hand back quickly. Socks rolled his eyes. "Driver gets to pick the music."

Turns out when he said "picks the music," he really meant "picks absolute silence" because that's exactly what Socks did. The car was unsettlingly quiet the whole way to Blaza's house. When they pulled into his driveway the blond was ready with way more bags than a person would ever need to go to space.

"Dude, you realize most of the stuff is already provided at the Skeld," Socks reasoned as Blaza entered the back of the car. "And are you really going to wear those sunglasses in space?" Despite his harsh tone, Meme had to agree with Socks for once.

"Absolutely." Came the cheerful reply. "And I need all this stuff, so don't judge me."

With another eye roll from Socks (Meme had counted five today so far) they finally were on their way to Mira. After all this time, it's finally happening. Meme thought in disbelief.

Of course, finally happening in about four hours. This was going to be a long trip.

-0-

Meme raced out of the car as fast as he could, earning an exasperated sigh from the driver himself.

"Could you act a bit more like a toddler?" He snapped. But Meme ignored him. He wasn't going to let Socks ruin his awesome day, and besides he could tell that Socks was actually excited as well. He wondered if other friends like Blaza had noticed how Socks tried to hide his emotions most of the time, and his little cues for what he was feeling when his face didn't give it away. Probably. They've known each other almost their whole lives.

Mira HQ loomed above them, tall glass walls everywhere they looked. The three walked rather fast to the door, which opened, detecting them.

Please show your ID, the AI spoke in a monotone voice. Meme let it scan his first, then Socks and Blaza followed. They had been through the entrance countless times but this time felt different. The same rooms were there, decorated with plants so often you almost couldn't take a step without the danger of stepping on one. The same cafeteria and launchpad, filled with crowds of people. But it still felt brighter, different.

The people at the launchpad were clustered in groups, all unfamiliar. Meme suddenly felt shy and let Socks and Blaza walk in front of him. How can I share a ship with all these complete strangers? What if they think I'm annoying or weird or don't like me?

He shoved his doubts away and ran through the information he had. He knew the leader as Laff. He counted more he didn't know, but some names he had learned which were yet to be paired with faces ran through his mind. Tbh. Woolf. Dino. Muffin.

Feeling much more calm at this point, Meme joined the crowd where they were all talking to each other. Meme stood silently next to Blaza and Socks, suddenly wondering if he'd ever call these people his friends.

The Skeld will be taking off shortly, a voice announced over the microphone. All astronauts should be boarding now.

"Do we have everything?" Socks asked as people began streaming on the ship.

"I have everything." Meme said pointedly. Socks huffed, while Blaza threw his arms out in frustration.

"If you two fight the whole time we're on the Skeld, I'm going to lose it! Why can't you get along?" He burst out.

"He started it." Both of them mumbled at the same time. Socks shot Meme a glare and he suppressed a laugh. He was too mad to laugh anyways.

With another frustrated sigh from Blaza, he, Meme, and Socks boarded the Skeld without looking back.

-0-

1211 words