Discovery

Tw - Minor gore, death by lava

-0-

         Socks had heard Blaza calling for him, but he ignored it. I don't want to have to deal with them right now.

Okay, he was being weird and cold. Socks was too busy trying to not act different that he had snapped at Blaza. Twice.

I'll apologize later, he promised himself. For now, I want to be alone.

As he trekked on in the storm, without his friends talking and distracting him, Socks got the opportunity to think that he had wanted.

Why am I feeling like this?

It was after last night, wasn't it? Wait, no-it was after the meeting. The meeting where Meme...

He couldn't even think about him without the weird feeling coming back.

What the heck is wrong with me?

You know.

Stop! I don't!

Socks silenced his thoughts. For now, just focus on getting back to shelter. Lost in thought, he hadn't noticed the blizzard getting stronger every second.

After a little while of walking, Socks noticed a silhouette in the distance. As he got closer, he realized it was a building. Thank goodness.

Tired as he was, Socks began to sprint toward the structure. He couldn't quite see what area of the Polus camp it was in, but he didn't care. It was shelter all the same.

As Socks was running he stepped on something buried under a thin layer of snow. After almost completely toppling over on top of it, he regained his balance and turned to look at... whatever that was.

Brushing away a layer of snow, Socks nearly threw up and had to look away quickly.

Half of an unidentified crewmate's body had been placed on the snow. If slightly more snow had fallen, it would have been covered completely. Blood stained the snow and its suit and half of it was missing, but he could clearly see the color.

Orange. Even though the upper half of his body was... missing, there was only one other orange-suited astronaut in the crew.

Socks felt dizzy. Too young, too young to die.

He didn't need to see the nametag to know Muffin had been murdered.

He suddenly felt furious. Who dares to infiltrate my crew and kill the members! Socks began shoving snow over the body in an attempt to hide it. If it was hidden, maybe he could forget it. Why is this happening to us?

Footsteps in the snow crunched behind him. Eyes filled with held-back tears of anger, Socks whipped around to see the shocked face of Laff.

Socks looked at his bloody hands and the churned-up snow behind him that only half covered the body. "Wait," he began, realizing how suspicious he must have looked.

Shaking his head slightly, Laff took a step back, eyes wide. Socks stood up but that only caused Laff to turn around and bolt in the direction of the emergency meeting button.

No, no, no! Socks began to sprint after the crew leader, but his legs were already tired from his hike across the vast landscape of Polus. Laff had already pressed the button and half of the crew had arrived by the time Socks entered.

"M-muffin died and Socks..." Laff said, barely making the words out through his shock and heavy breathing.

A muffled gasp was heard and Socks saw Blaza and Meme behind him. The latter of the two had his hand over his mouth and had made the noise. Betrayal shone clearly in his eyes.