disappointment

The next day I wake up to my mother screaming for me.

"RORY GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE!"

I groan into my pillow and head downstairs, my legs sore after my previous.... activities.

"What do you want, mom?"

"We're going out with Max and her mom, didn't I tell you?" She questions, pulling her light hair into a ponytail.

"No. You didn't."

"Ok, well go get ready Judy Moody, we're leavin' in 10."

I groan and head up the stairs, throwing on some jeans and a green tank top. I quickly look into the mirror and throw my hair into a messy bun, pulling out a few strands.

We walk over to Max's house quietly. I pray in my head that Marcus is NOT there and is still sleeping.

My prayers seem to have been for nothing as we head in and Max and Marcus are eating breakfast.

"Aurora! You're already here, I thought we were leaving in 30!" Max shouts through a mouthful of waffles.

"Get ready! We haven't got all day, Max!" My mom exclaims, dramatically fanning her face.

Max rushes up the stairs to get dressed and I make eye contact with Marcus, my cheeks turning red as I look to the ground. He smirks at me and takes a bite of his waffle, never breaking eye contact.

I gulp and tell my mom I'll be outside.

We are end up leaving soon after, heading to the mall a few miles from Wellsbury. Max and I split up to head over to a string of young adult stores.

"We should buy lingerie."

I look over to max and smile. She holds up a black lace corset and matching leather skirt.

"This is hot, you have to try it on." She exclaims, almost shoving me into a dressing room.

I pull off my clothes and replace them with the tight black outfit. The corset is fairly easy to put on, although i'm not sure it looks right.

I look into the mirror and I see something odd, I actually look good. The fishnets and leather compliment my cool skin and dark hair. The corset pushes up my boobs and accentuates my waist, leaving me with a slight hourglass figure.

I open my phone and take a picture of myself in the mirror, posing minimally and making sure i look good before deciding to forward the picture to max.

Max: omg you look perf, put it in ur bag lol ;)

me: i'll get caught bitch

max: no u won't they don't check cams here

me: ok fine i'll be out in a sec :))

I grab the outfit and shove it into my backpack, picking up the outfit I used to get in here so the workers think i only got one thing.

I walk out and give the worker the salmon colored skirt and leopard print. Her wrinkled face frowns and she wishes me a good day. I smile.

I leave the store without a hitch and see Max at Auntie Anne's. I approach her and hold up my bag winking at her.

"You're an icon, Hunter will love that fit." She exclaims, intertwining her fingers in mine and jumping slightly.

"Um. Definitely not into him like that-"

She rolls her eyes and grins.

"Then who are you into?" She questions.

I scratch the back of my neck and feign confusions, shrugging.

"You like my brother, and before you try to deny it, I see how you look at him."

"Okay- that's not even- I j-just-" I stutter out.

"Please. You think I'm just some air-headed love struck lesbian with no clue on what love is?" She asks, raising an eyebrow.

"No, look, max. I do like your brother but doesn't he like Padma?"

"Forget her." She hooks her arm to mine and skips with me to our moms.

Luckily, she forgets about our previous conversation and we meet our mom's at Kohl's, about eight bags in each hand. We head out of the mall and get in the car, my mother speeding like a maniac.

"Come over," Max whispers, "I've got some alcohol."

I nod and grab my backpack as we pull into her driveway.

Max and I race up the stairs, passing a couple rooms and I wonder what one Marcus's is. In max's room, she pulls out a cardboard filled with beer and some wine coolers.

Max hands me a beer and we crack them open "quietly". I take a sip and grin, the taste burning through my throat.

"Okay, try on the fit, it's gonna be amazing." She exclaims, pulling it out of my backpack.

I change into it quickly and turn around. Max's eyes turn into saucers as she takes in my getup. She then grins and her eyes flash.

"MARCUS! GET IN HERE!" she screams and raises her eyebrows up and down to me.

"Max! Stop!" I whisper scream.

Suddenly I see the door open and Marcus standing there, his eyes taking me in. I blush and hide my face. He blinks and comes back down, looking at Max.

"What, loser?" He asks, clearing his throat.

"You want a beer? I swiped some from Mom."

"Sure, but I'm not getting drunk with you."

She rolls her eyes and tosses him a blue bottle. He takes the top of with a bottle opener from his pocket. My eyes are fixated on his hands, his long fingers wrapped around the bottle. He lifts it up to take a swig and licks the foam off his top lip.

I realize i'm staring and look back down, taking a long sip from my beer, hoping my embarrassment will subside.

Later, about four beers in, Marcus is sitting on the swing in Max's room, Max and I are on the bed, all listening to Lana del Rey sing about serial killers.

Max starts singing some gibberish and I look over to Marcus, his eyes scan down my body and he nods his head towards the door, I follow and get up, him leading me to a room a couple doors down.

He opens the door to his room, artwork everywhere and a big window facing the street, towards my house. I smile and take in his room, touching a couple trinkets and stopping at his bed, where he passes by me and sits down, gesturing for me to as well.

"Wow. Did you do all of this yourself?" I ask, gesturing to the various paintings on the wall.

He smirks and nods, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear before leaning in and breathing slightly on my neck, causing me to shiver, earning a bigger smirk from him.