Chapter 11: Familiar Faces

The longer the femme fatale lived with you, the more you got used to her.

When you returned on Monday after the hospital with Qi'ra and McDonald's, it amazed your mother at how well you two got along with each other within a few hours.

When you revealed to her, with pleasure, your lovely bandage and told her the story behind it, she nearly made a scandal out of it.

Even though you still didn't know if you should trust Qi'ra, you peacefully joined her and your mother at dinnertime. That was a good start, and it brought your mother joy. As long as she was happy, it made you happy too.

However, day by day, things changed.

The following day, your mother decided that the only way you would get to school is by car. In the morning, she would drive you to school, and in the afternoon, Qi'ra would come and pick you up. From time to time, they would swap positions.

Later on, Qi'ra installed a camera and an alarm system in every room. If that was not already strange, they also put a chip on your mobile phone, so they were aware of your location. They asked you for every single contact number on your phone, including where they lived.

It seemed like both of them have never heard of a well-known word called privacy.

No matter how much you protested, they didn't care and repeated the sentence, "You will thank us for this later."

You got tired and stopped bombarding them with questions. Obviously, it had something to do with the trouble that your mother got herself into. You acted as if you had never heard of it and remained positive that everything was fine, as always.

But these abrupt changes in your life and seeing your mother at home every single day now was not okay, and your inner you knew this.

Even if they wouldn't tell you soon about the danger they were expecting, you had to accept the fact that everything would come when the time was right. You just had to be patient.

In the end, everything happens for a reason. If Qi'ra and your mother decided not to tell you, then it's because they have something in their mind of which you knew nothing about. And you had to respect this.

"Qi'ra, I understand, and it's obvious that my mother's worried ... and — and overprotected that something might happen to me, but seriously! You're now like my babysitter and bodyguard, who drives me everywhere I go and follows each of my steps, and it's so ... I don't know," you complained, removing the fuzz from your hat.

"You should thank me. Otherwise, without me, your mother would never allow you to go to the basketball game," she mentioned with her honey voice.

In the beginning, your mother didn't like the idea of you going back to work with your injured hand since it hadn't healed properly, and you hadn't been to school all week. Your hand hurt less than before, and you didn't want your injury to prevent you from completing your daily routine. If Qi'ra hadn't convinced your mother, you'd still be sitting at home.

"And I'm thankful for this, but I know you don't want to babysit me. And besides, you don't even know what teams are playing."

"The Resistance against the Pirates. This is the first game after three years, where the men's Premier League of the Pirates will play against the men's Premier League of the Resistance," she announced confidently.

She swung her head to you and laughed at your puzzled expression. The price was already blinking in her eyes.

"How did you know?" you asked, fascinated by the information she possessed.