I realized it was already getting dark, so I returned to the ship I built to be safe. I didn't notice that there were no fishes in the water.
When I arrived home, there a few mobs on my island which I killed. I started building a wheat farm using the bone meal from the skeletons I killed. Then I went fishing again.
This time I caught an enchanted fishing rod, an enchanted bow and a saddle but still only puffer fishes and no other fishes, which confused me. This didn't bother me at this point tho since I started a wheat farm and I had apples.
I decided to build the bottom of the ship but got attacked by a drowned, which I swiftly killed. He had a Nautilus shell which I put away for later. I could use it to build a conduit.
Then I went into the mine again to finally get those precious blue stones to craft myself armor and tools.
I found a lava lake and decided to build my portal there to find some bastions and nether fortresses for loot and to get more building material.
When I returned, I had killed a few blazes and could build a brewing stand. Finally, I could make use of the puffer fishes I caught.
I made some potions and went to explore the ocean again, planning to go a lot further this time. I had killed hoglins in the nether and got myself some porkchop and I had apples and bread too. I hopped into my boat and started my journey.