SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN. 

THE AMENDS

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

"ALL RIGHT, LET'S try this again."

Tess perked up from where she stood by the ladder leading to the hull of the Razor Crest, looking towards the Mandalorian a little ways away. Mando hit the controls on the ship, the many nets and roping which were barely holding them together slung around his broad-shouldered body. Tess rolled her eyes, shivering as the cold of airspace made chills rundown her spine.

It had been almost 24 hours since they had left the planet of Trask behind, the Mandalorian successfully helping Bo-Katan on her mission and getting the coordinates on where to take the girl and the child. They were supposed to be heading to the planet Corvus, where apparently a Jedi by the name of Ahsoka Tano would be able to help them. The only problem was that the repairs done on the Razor Crest were some of the worst Tess had ever seen, and ever since her run in with the mercenary's on the water planet, she'd been less than helpful with the fixes, her hands shaking with the feeling of her power exploding from her fingertips, as if a thousand supernovae had collapsed in on themselves, splitting her flesh with a fire untamed. It had left her exhausted, and she'd slept soundly for hours on end. Meanwhile the Mandalorian had tried to get their ships' controls back to proper function, but he'd found that without Tess' mechanical guidance, the process was incredibly slow.

However, now the girl was awake, though still groggy, and when she'd taken one look at the shoddy repair job on the controls, she'd stated plainly that this wasn't going to work. Ever the optimist, the Mandalorian had told her, and she'd responded with a quick nod, smirk playing on her lips. The Mandalorian had merely shaken his head and turned back to the front.

Since leaving Trask, finally having a direct course, the Mandalorian and the Mechanic had fallen into sync. After many days spent running from danger, getting caught in schemes that resulted in injuries and battles, Tess and Mando seemed to come to a silent understanding. The shift in their interactions wasn't that noticeable, but it was still there, as imperceptible as a change in the breeze.

Tess, still forever pessimistic and angry with the world, held the same frowns and blunt words she'd always had, but she also let the Mandalorian treat the wound on her face. She played with the child, rubbing it's head subconsciously while looking out at the deep vacuum of space, her eyes wide. It wasn't so much that Tess was a different person now, she just seemed to the Mandalorian a little more... soft. The Mandalorian now watched Tess, seeing that the girl was in fact a child, a girl of fifteen. He'd forgotten, when he'd first met her on Tatooine, not able to look past her wise eyes and air of heartbreak. She'd been through so much at so young that Mando had forgotten she was just like him; human.