Chapter 8

Varian counts the seconds as breath fills his lungs, barely able to hear the chatter of the crowd over the violent beating of his own heart. His friends, his family, his bosses, representatives from other kingdoms - all here to see what he can do, what he will do, for this kingdom.

All unaware of his decision to desert it.

Then he meets Ruddiger's eyes from where he sits atop his father's shoulder. The raccoon nods encouragingly.

And suddenly, Varian has the power to move his feet.

"May I have your attention?" he calls, struggling to be heard over all the voices. It quiets a bit, but not enough. He takes a deep breath, putting on his best showman personality.

"LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE DIRECT YOUR ATTENTION UP HERE!"

Everyone falls silent, and Varian plasters the biggest, most charming smile he can on his face, trying to recall how Eugene and Lance do it so easily.

"I am Varian of Old Corona, and the kingdom's Royal Engineer." He stands in front of the veiled structure, hands clasped behind his back and head raised as a few whispers sound after his statement. "Many of you have come from all over the kingdom to be here today. Some even from outside the kingdom. You have come to see the marvel of science when put to practical use, and...you...shall."

In one fluid motion he rips off the cloth, dramatically revealing what everyone has been waiting for.

"I present to you a top grade, fully functioning, water heating system!"

On cue, gasps roll through the crowd. A spike of pride shoots through him, and for a second his smile becomes real. Maybe this will do it, maybe this will be enough. They will support him, love him, trust him, even when he leaves them.

If he can just get this one thing to go perfectly.

"After years of trial, a chemical of my own creation has passed all tests and now powers this specially designed boiler to heat running water throughout the entire castle. I hope to apply this technology to the rest of the city, and one day, the kingdom. And I can assure you, every part of the system is completely safe-"
"Wanna try again?"
Varian's body is frozen before his mind can catch up. Another collective gasp from the audience rings in his ears, but there's no awe this time.

Only horror.

A similar horror grips his heart as he slowly, slowly, recognizes the voice that is quickly, quickly ruining everything he's been working towards.

He turns around. He almost blacks out on the spot

No, no, this isn't happening...

"Long time no see, kid."

Andrew's smile is every bit as sickening and haunting as it's portrayed to be in Varian's nightmares. The man is flanked by every follower Varian has met, and fear digs its claws deeper into his heart.

He doesn't have a chance.

Andrew makes a subtle signal with his hand, and in seconds, Juniper, Maise, and Clementine have disappeared into the crowd, who scream in panic. Kai crushes the knob into the door, effectively trapping them all inside the lab, before joining his friends.

The protests of Rapunzel, Eugene, Lance, his father - anyone who could help him as they are restrained barely reach his ears. He's too preoccupied by his own shallow breathing, his own terrified trembling.

"Why - why - how...?"

His feet are stuck to the ground. His body is locked in fear. Maybe that's why he doesn't react in time when Andrew strides across the room, smirks down at him, and slaps him across the face.