𝒊. the butterfly effect

CHAPTER ONE:THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT

CHAPTER ONE:
THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT

LEARNING NEW THINGS ALWAYS intrigued Luna McCall. Whether it was learning how to ride a bike or the analysis behind quotes in English class, the girl never gave anything less than full effort. It was something that gave Luna such a positive persona, and along with her altruistic attitude, she was someone hatred just couldn't stick to.

Something Luna had always been mesmerised by was the butterfly effect. The idea that even the smallest of things can be a catalyst to disaster, the proposal that something as insignificant as the movement of a butterfly's wings could cause something as catastrophic as a tornado. Or in Luna's case, a dropped ice cream would turn out to be the foundation of an undying crush.

It was funny really, how such a small thing could make you fall for someone so hard. Luna was so sure she felt nothing but familial love towards Stiles Stilinski; being so close to her twin, the boy had always been around, so much so that he had to be there to see her drop her ice cream cone and he had to offer her his without hesitation. He would have done it for anyone, Luna told herself whenever she could feel butterflies entering her stomach because of him, you're nothing special. Nothing was going to happen anyway, not while Stiles was head-over-heels for Lydia Martin.

Luna loved Lydia, she really did. How ever shallow and small-minded the redhead appeared to be, Luna was almost always partnered up with her in Chemistry and knew how bright the girl was. Even just from the way Lydia articulated her ideas, Luna was certain she possessed one of the highest IQs in Beacon Hills High School. Their friendship wasn't the strongest, but Luna knew the girl deserved better than to be in a relationship with someone like Jackson Whittemore. Regardless of her own feelings, Luna believed if Lydia ended up noticing the Stilinski boy, it was for the best.

Tearing her eyes away from the slowly ticking clock on the wall, Luna McCall sighed gently, her gaze trailing over to the double doors leading into the library. She bit the tip of her pen as she watched teenagers walk in and out, most having their headphones on and arms full with books; Lydia was late. The two girls met in the library to study in their free time at school frequently, mainly because Lydia was considerate enough to help Luna prevent falling behind in Chemistry (something the McCall was always paranoid about).

Ten more minutes passed before Luna's phone vibrated on the table, displaying a text message from Lydia:

( 🌸 )
luna!! I'm not going to be able to
make studying today. planning my
party, which, by the way, you are
obviously coming to. sorry, love you!

Luna smiled at the message, opening her phone and sending her a quick 'of course' in response. She started sliding her belongings back into her bag, before a pair of hands slammed on her table. The girl jumped and snapped her head up from her bag, her eyebrow raising at the teenager standing there, "You realise this is a library? You're meant to be quiet."