stay by my side, for the eternity - todoroki x midoriya

rated : general
fandom : my hero academia
key tags : stargazing, soulmates, fluff, established relationship, mentions of past abuse
synopsis : how todoroki fell face first in love with midoriya.

•••

Shouto Todoroki thinks that the concept of soulmates is a lie. It’s an illusion made by someone so lonely and so delusional that they made up the fantasy of having one person destined to be with you. Some say it’s your other half, while some say it’s who you’re meant to be with for your whole life. But for someone whose entire childhood was spent in nothing but loneliness, believing in soulmates is much harder than anyone could even fathom. So he never believed the stories that his mother used to tell him before bed every night— about finding your other half and how once you find them, everything will just make sense.

Shouto hated the concept of soulmates more than anything as he grew older. Even if he forced himself to believe in the idea for one moment, he concluded that he would not be able to accept the person who is allegedly destined for him. What kind of soulmate lets someone suffer so much, so alone for so long? Where was his soulmate when he was being worked to the bone and beat up by his father? Where was his soulmate when his mother gave him the scar on his face by pouring boiling water on him, just because she couldn’t stand to look at his left side? Where was his soulmate when he spent nights after nights crying alone in his room because he wasn’t allowed to spend time with his own siblings? Where was his soulmate when his brother disappeared, leaving Shouto to uphold the so-called Todoroki family honour all by himself? It’s ridiculous, completely unforgivable. He would not accept such a selfish person, ever.

But then Shouto got into UA, and life was even more confusing now. Despite being under the target radar of the villains constantly, Shouto had a personal storm going on inside himself— because a certain green haired boy was playing with his heart strings as if casually strumming a guitar.

Shouto hated it, how that one boy made him feel. Shouto was constantly uneasy and on edge whenever he was around. Maybe it was because the stranger was one of the most mysterious students, despite his expressive personality. He even had the confidence of the Symbol of Peace, and was often seen with him having lunch and whispering in corners. Can anyone really blame him for thinking that this guy might be All Might’s secret lovechild? Can anyone really blame him for wanting to surpass him? He was supposed to hold the family honour after all.

But ever since Shouto started speaking to Izuku, all his anger disappeared like white smoke in the air. He can’t forget the moment they properly spoke to each other, and how it felt like they’ve known each other for their entire lives. At first, Shouto didn’t want to assume. He didn’t want to impose this monstrosity of a fairy tale on someone like Izuku. Shouto wanted to take his time, approach him slowly, as if he makes a mistake, and Izuku might just slip away from his life forever. He has never met anyone so kind, and so bright, despite having a past similar to Shouto’s— filled with loneliness and rejection.

He had deduced the relationship of Katsuki and Izuku from their interactions only, and he could definitely understand why Katsuki was so interested in Izuku. Izuku was like a ball of energy, too kind and too bright, even for his own good. He would destroy himself in order to save others, and he would not expect anything in return too. He goes out of his way to help others, and while some might find that annoying, Shouto finds it very endearing for some reason— it’s definitely not because it’s exactly how Izuku broke through the ice walls that Shouto had built all around himself, cutting himself off from anyone who would possibly care about him.

Shouto loves how Izuku is generally nervous and shy around people, but if anyone dares to hurt someone he cares about, he turns into one of the scariest people ever. Shouto loves how Izuku keeps on rambling about things he’s passionate about, and he loves how he puts on his brightest front when he’s working as a hero. Shouto loves how Izuku is scared of spiders but will tear down a villain association to save a stranger. He loves how Izuku can eat three bowls of Katsudon in one sitting, and he loves how he slightly skips sometimes when he walks around the parks with him like a happy bunny. He loves how Izuku blushes every time Shouto dares to step a little closer to him, and he loves how flustered he gets when they’re out alone, exploring cafes and other destinations Shouto didn’t have the privilege to visit when he was a kid.