Chapter 7

“Short firm strokes,” Mark said, while he demonstrated on a mare.

“I think she likes it,” Mermaid said as she followed his instructions.

“Are you kidding me? She loves it.”

They both chuckled over the task of brushing the horse.

“Brush the hair in the direction it naturally falls,” he said.

Holly watched from a distance and could tell that Mark was enamored by Mermaid. It was evident in his eyes and the way he spoke to her. She could tell because he’d once spoken to her like that, but it had been so long ago she was surprised she could still remember.

Holly wondered if Mermaid liked him back. It was hard to tell since she was so sweet with everyone. Anyone could have mistaken it for flirting. She laughed at his jokes and he loved to spend time with her when he wasn’t working.

“Here, you have a straw of hay on your hair.” He reached out his hand and slowly removed it.

“Do you have to brush them everyday?” she asked.

“Yeah, its keeps their coat smooth and shiny and keeps bacteria and irritants away from their skin.”

She started cautiously brushing around the head with a soft bristle brush.

“Be careful around that area. He could swing his head when you least expect it,” Mark warned. “Do you think you’re ready to do this on your own?” he asked, to which she happily nodded.

“Okay, I’ll get you another horse and Holly will make sure you don’t get hurt,” Mark said and took away the horse.

“You have so much enthusiasm for working in a ranch,” Holly said from the distance.

“It feels great,” Mermaid said just as Mark brought another horse.

“I have to go take care of my other duties. You’ll be okay, right?” he asked and she nodded.

He walked past Holly, giving her a meaningful look, as she gloomed her own horse. Holly watched Mermaid as she did what she’d been taught.

“When will you teach me how to ride?” Mermaid asked.

“Over the weekend when the kids come over. I think it’ll be a little more fun then,” she said and turned in astonishment when she heard a familiar voice call her name.

“Hi Holly,” Hanna said.

“I thought I made myself clear when I told you that I never wanted to see you again,” she said.

“Holly, come on. We’re childhood best friends. You didn’t expect me to never come see you again.”

“It’s what I hoped,” Holly said.

“Look, I think we should sit down and talk. There are a lot of things we need to clear up,” Hanna insisted.

“Our friendship ended six years ago. I don’t think I can make that any clearer,” Holly said impatiently.

“Don’t you want to know why I did what I did?”

“I know why. You did it to hurt me, because you couldn’t stand to see me happy.”

“I didn’t do it to hurt you,” Hanna said.

“Look, whatever your reasons are, I really don’t care because the fact is, I’m over it and you should be too,” Holly said, wishing Hanna could just let go of the past.

“I wanted us,” Hanna blurted out.

“What?” Holly asked and went still when Hanna closed the distance between them and placed her lips over hers in a surprise kiss.